Chapter 8

Ethan

Seated at the top of the long table, I cast a glance around at my best men, the closest people to me since my father passed. Food was brought out by Raula and I glanced behind her, waiting for the new rogue to appear and growled lowly when I realised she wasn't going to be making an appearance

Where is she?  I mind linked Raula, something I was very grateful for to avoid the men seated with me asking questions.

She is resting in her room, Ethan. She looks like she'd break if I put her to work right now. Raula mind linked me back and I had to drop the subject. I don't know why I cared, the only worker I cared for was Raula; I saw my mother in her and liked to imagine that Raula had inherited my mother's charm after she passed. All of my men were watching me, waiting for permission to eat and I nodded at once, watching carefully as they all bowed their heads in thanks as the men tucked into the food on their plates.

Delta Kurt was fast growing on me, sat to my left as always and I took in his appearance. Dirty blonde hair no longer than a few inches stuck up everywhere in a way his mate called a 'fashion trend' and dark brown eyes that intimidated even the boldest warriors. He had been my father's choice for my Delta and I resisted at first, begging to have my choice of a pack but after giving Kurt a hard time for 6 months, he'd surpassed every one of my tests and I had no choice but to allow him the role. Then to my right was Beta Deryn, my strongest man who had earned his role by my side tenfold. We had battles once a month to give everyone in the pack a fair chance at rising through the ranks. Occasionally an Omega would surprise me, climbing up to a warrior or Sentinel title and other times, a Hunter would have to be downranked as he lost a fight to an Omega or a strong pup. It was werewolf politics to its fullest, but I was yet to be beaten after 6 years as Alpha. Beta Deryn oversaw all of the battles, keeping me updated when I got bored of the fights, retiring to the library or my room when I had lost interest in politics. My right-hand man had dark brown hair to match his dark brown eyes, shaved on the sides and the top was pulled into a top knot to stop it from falling in his face. I was very proud of the leadership I had established, despite my actions being called into question; like this evening. The Sentinel had called a meeting when Rogue Ace's scent appeared on our territory, carried by me as she lay unconscious in my arms. She appeared shy at first but there was a fire in her that I saw when she had tried to beat me into complying with her demands. I don't know why I accepted it; any other rogue would be dead by now, hence the meeting.

After we had finished eating, Kurt, Deryn and I made our way to the boardroom, taking our seats as we awaited the Sentinel and his men to arrive. Delta Kurt became restless, and even I had to admit they were taking a long time.

Intruder in the West Wing. The Sentinel mind linked me and I growled aloud, the two men beside me startling. I stalked back the way I had come to the boardroom, catching the scent of the Sentinel and then rogue as I rounded the corner. Rogue Ace was slowly backing away from two warriors who were stalking in my direction, clearly after her. She didn't even notice my presence at first until her smaller frame collided with my chest, slowly turning to face me. I fixed a hard glare to my face for good measure, so the rogue knew her place and how furious I was that she had been sneaking around the house.

"Alpha Lake, this rogue was trespassing through the West Wing. I'll have the men escort her downstairs." I could feel the fear emanating from the Sentinel and I rolled my eyes, sometimes being feared was boring. And then I watched Ace begin limping towards the two warriors and they stood either side of her

"What happened to her?" My inner wolf was angry, that someone else would hurt the rogue when I didn't even know what she had done. Everyone froze, bowing their heads.