Chapter 7

Accalia
After a while of glaring at the ceiling, I must have drifted off as a knock at the door woke me and it took a moment to collect my bearings before mumbling for the person to come in. One of the twins, I imagine Louvel based on the small brown mark on her cheek, waltzed in, staring down at my attire

"You need to change. You can wear this for now and we'll sort you a full uniform tomorrow." She snapped and I failed to duck out of the way as the clothes hit me in the face. My misfortune seemed to cheer Louvel up, chuckling slightly as she closed the door to give me some privacy and I changed into the clothes; a white blouse and a black skirt, only reaching mid thigh with some black flats. I quickly scooped my hair into a bun as I knew no one could see my faded mark from the collar of my shirt, hoping to avoid any acknowledgement that I'd once had a mate. I emerged from the room and Louvel was already walking down the hallway and I had to almost run to catch up with her, tripping over my own feet but a hand captured my elbow, keeping me upright

"Careful there, Ace." Jet winked and I snatched my arm back from his grip, conscious of how close we were. I offered a tight-lipped smile in thanks and followed Louvel through the house (which was more like a maze) into the kitchen where the scent of food knocked me sick. How long had I been out for?

"Where- where is the bathroom?" I whispered, holding my composure as Honi casually pointed down a smaller hallway and I ran towards it, barely giving myself chance to collapse on the floor before dry heaving into the toilet. My body had crumpled from under me and my eyes stung as I coughed up part of my stomach lining as the heaving wrecked through my frame. After a few minutes, the heaving had stopped and I stood, only sparing a glance at the empty shell of a woman who stared back into the mirror accusingly before rejoining the others in the kitchen

"Nerves are to be expected dear, eat something to fill your stomach." Raula pushed a plate towards an empty seat and I hesitantly sat down, focusing on the contents of my plate. There were roasted potatoes, some mashed potato, a selection of vegetables and a large chunk of meat, I assumed beef, that made my mouth water. Gravy had been poured all over the dinner to give it moisture and I couldn't resist the temptation anymore, scoffing down the vegetables before slowing down when I noticed Honi and Adolfina scowling at my poor manners. I took a napkin from the centre of the table and mopped at my mouth, forcing myself to slow down before I threw up again.

After we were all finished and I felt enormous, despite only finishing half of my dinner, Honi disappeared to go train with some warriors, Jet had to go and tamper with his equipment and the twins had to clean up the board room for the big meeting about me that would take place in an hour's time. I stayed with Raula as she cleaned up the kitchen first, watching the woman closely as she efficiently washed dishes, wiped down the counters and put away all the cutlery we'd used. I had to watch so intensely because this was all so new to me, I was never housewife material; Z'ev had told me as much before he broke the mate bond in front of our whole pack. I felt a tightening in my chest at the memory but quickly snapped out of it when Raula brought me through to the dining room where the Alpha and his closest pack members ate together. I pondered where he would sit before I noticed a larger chair at the head of the table; of course... I rolled my eyes, cursing myself for forgetting how power-hungry and arrogant Alpha's were as I began picking up a few plates and piling them in my arms. This was a foolish move, in hindsight, as my fingers slipped from holding the plates and a loud shattering was heard as the plates fell at my feet. Raula's head snapped up to meet my eyes and I looked down, feeling tears well in my eyes.

"It's okay Ace, it was an accident. Goddess knows there are a hundred more plates they can use, let me go get a brush. Can you fold up the table cloth and wipe down the surface whilst I'm gone?" She asked sweetly and I felt myself well up now for how patient she was being. Why was an Alpha bringing a clumsy rogue into his territory? Was he trying to get everyone killed? I couldn't work it out and I imagine I'd never get my answer as I hadn't seen him since he dropped me on the floor when I awoke. I busied myself with carefully folding the deep red cloth and sprayed a solution all over the table. Raula had re-entered as I was wiping down the large table and was currently sweeping away the plates, emptying the pieces into a nearby bin and I felt more guilty that I'd fucked up so severely on my first day.