Prologue

Narcissa Black was a respectable lady from the Noble House of Black, the last of the Black Sisters. Her older sister Bellatrix was already married off to Rodolphus Lestrange, even if they didn't love each other. They were both respectful of their families wishes.

Her sister Andromeda, however, was something different, defying her family's views on blood purity she left and married a muggleborn Ted Tonks. Filthy thing he was, not an ounce of magical blood in him. But Andromeda loved him, and Narcissa wanted a husband who she would love.

This is why she was determined to have the best matchmaking ball, in existence. The ball was hosted by her aunt Walburga Black, she had the perfect home for host a ball. She had hosted many in the past, though since her sons started at Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry Walburga doesn't have as many.

Though she made the exception for Narcissa, for her name had been dragged down after Andromeda's public marriage to Ted Tonks. Eligible suitors would have surely read of Andromeda's marriage, but hopefully, they wouldn't focus on that when attending the matchmaking ball.

Lucius Malfoy was the son of an aristocratic house, known as the Malfoy Family, Lucius was spoiled in every way by his father Abraxas. He is an only child, therefore his life was almost the opposite to that of Narcissa Black, Narcissa had two older sisters she had to compete with. All Lucius had to do was marry an exceptional lady.

The only problem was Lucius had no intention of ever marrying, especially since the only girl he was interested in wasn't his biggest fan. They had dated a while in Hogwarts but their days were over, that girl wanted nothing more to do with him, though his father was incredibly hopeful of their relationship being a success.

Lucius was required to attend a ball host by Walburga Black, while he didn't want to go, his father reminded him that it would be a great insult to decline Mrs Black's invite. Lucius dusted his best dress robes to attend ball he would surely regret, he would be surprised if he had any fun at all.

***

"Narcissa, your dress has arrived,"

Druella Black called her youngest daughter, Narcissa entered the room, her eyes falling on the beautiful dress, a midnight blue, with golden details of astrological stars, to symbolise the tradition of the Black family naming their children after star and constellations.

"It's gorgeous mother," Narcissa said "is Bellatrix coming?" she asked, not taking her eyes off the dress

"Yes, dear she will be,"

Narcissa cringed, she loved her sister but Bellatrix always made Narcissa feel less important than her, and this Ball was for her. Bellatrix was not going to ruin the night. The ball for Narcissa's time to shine, Bellatrix had her time and found her husband, this was Narcissa time to find the wizard of her dreams.

The time had come for the night of the ball, Narcissa had an advantage over the other girls, it was hosted by her aunt. Walburga embraced Narcissa complimenting her dress, Walburga gestured for her sons to greet their cousin, which the youngest Regulus did without hesitation.

"You looked wonderful Narcissa," he said, he smiled at her,

"Thank you, you look very handsome yourself," she said, returning his smile,

Sirius smirked with his friend stood beside him, she was staying with Black's while her parents were away on a business trip. It didn't matter though she kept Sirius and Regulus company, which meant Narcissa's cousin Sirius would be kept under the watchful eye of his mother.

"Beautiful as always Narcissa," Sirius' friend complimented, Narcissa smiled at her,

"She's alright, I've seen better dresses," her sister Bellatrix entered the room, Sirius glared at his oldest cousin showing his friend out of the room.

"Mother picked the dress," Narcissa said,

"And she looks exquisite," Druella Black said, showing Bellatrix and Narcissa to the ballroom.

Walburga Black took great pride in the aesthetic of the dances that she hosted, so much so that the slightest possibility of something causing a disturbance. In Walburga's case, her son Sirius, would bring shame to her and the Black name. Not that it bothered Sirius.

Narcissa joined her friend Helene Zabini and Rebekah Avery who she had been close to for many years, they were also looking for their perfect match. The three girls have been inseparable, since their first night in the Slytherin dorm room nearly ten years ago. Narcissa looked Helene up and down.

"You look different," Narcissa said, noticing the dress Helene was wearing were a lot more modest than her usual style.

"Yes, well my mother expects the best and if I dress like this I make her proud," Helene said, bearing a small smile to appear happy with her mother's decision.

"Let's hope the boys know who you are then," Rebekah said, causing Helene and Narcissa to laugh quietly to themselves not wanting to draw too much attention to themselves.

It would still be a while before all the guest had arrived at the ball, though the boys that were already there, kept their distance from Narcissa. She maintained her smile, but couldn't help but wonder why no one bared her any attention or even a second glance.

"Mother, may I speak with you?" Narcissa asked as she approached her mother, Druella guided her daughter out of the ballroom, waiting for her to speak.

"Why won't anyone talk to me?" she asked

"It seems your sisters very public marriage to that muggleborn, has ruined your chances of marrying successfully," her mother admitted,

"What can we do?" Narcissa asked, fearing her chances of finding a husband were now very slim.

"We'll have to prove you are worthy of a suitable Pureblood husband," Druella said, cupping Narcissa's cheek

"Don't worry my darling, everything will be fine,"