Chapter 9

Callisto POV

I was again running for my life, but now I also ran for the life of my pups.

I was so determined to steer the danger away from them that the terror I had felt upon realizing the presence of pack wolves had faded away as I dodged trees and jumped fallen trees and large rocks.

I could hear my pursuer close behind me, but I was going too fast for him to gain any ground between us. Where were his pack members? I knew I had smelled more than one, but I only heard one set of paws hitting the ground besides mine.

They've gone after the pups, Callisto! If we smelled them, they smelled us too and knew there was more than just us! Let me take over to fight this one so we can go back to save our babies!

At her realization, the terror was back. I gave up control and automatically my body stopped running. We turned around to face the wolf chasing us.

When he caught up, he didn't stop running at us. He charged, mouth open in preparation to tear out our throat. When he was close enough to almost do just as he intended, Eliserah dodged to the right, quickly turning around and clamping her mouth down on his upper left hind leg and shaking her head to tear the flesh off of him.

He barely reacted to her bite, and he turned to do the exact same to us but Eliserah had already let go and jumped onto his back. She bit down into his scruff, and though he tried to shake us off, he couldn't. We had a tight hold on him.

When his scent finally registered with us, the smell of the forest and honey, Eliserah almost let go. Instead she whimpered and a pain shot through us.

Mate. He's our mate. We can not hurt him Calli, but he's attacking us. He should have smelled us and known! We have to leave him alone.

There was agony in her voice, and I felt the same way. If he knew we were mates, which he should have since he smelled our scent to catch us, why would he hurt us? He was supposed to love us.

Can we knock him out? I asked her quickly, seeing as our mate was still trying to shake us off and we were slipping. If he got the upper hand, would he kill us?

We have no choice, so we will.

Eliserah let go of his scruff and ran a few feet away when we fell off of his back. Without stopping, she turned back and rammed into his side. He was dazed from blood loss, so he was slow in his reaction time. He fell over onto his side and Eliserah went for his throat. When we leaned down with our mouth open wide, we finally made eye contact with our mate.

His eyes were beautiful. In his wolf form they were a dark golden colour, just like the honey in his scent. They widened when they met ours, and he let out a small whine. Eliserah didn't pause, and wrapped her teeth around his exposed throat even though his whine almost broke our heart. She bit down, and he didn't struggle. We kept biting until his body went limp, and then we checked to make sure he was still breathing.

When we saw that he was okay, we ran to find our babies.

---------------------------------------

We had followed the pack wolves' scent, which had been mixed with the children's for quite a distance, almost right to the entrance to our home.

It looked like the pack wolves had given up the chase, confused on where they could have gone. Their scent seemed to disappear at the foot of the mountain. Eliserah still had control, and she had us behind a stretch of bushes, watching what the pack wolves were doing.

They were sniffing around in circles trying to pick the scent back up in different directions. They were about forty or so feet from each other. Eliserah ran out from under cover, drawing their attention, and turned, taking off into the forest again, away from our pups.