Chapter 10

Callisto POV

After I was certain the pack wolves were gone, I let go of the structure above me and allowed myself to float from beneath it.

I got back onto the dry land and hastily changed back into my wolf form. I had to check on my children. I didn't think anything had happened to them, since the pack wolves didn't smell of their blood, but as a mother I wouldn't be satisfied until I looked them over, so I took off as fast as my four legs could take me.

As I ran, I spoke to them through our family link.

Are you all okay? I'm on my way back. We're going to have to lay low until it's safe to leave again and hunt, so on before I get there I'm going to try to find something to bring back to eat.

We're okay, mum. We runned so fast! It was so cool, we wanna show you! We was running like you said, and then BAM! we're already at homeIt was Ares who answered me, and his five year old description of how they got away made no sense to me. Of course they ran fast, they're werewolves.

I think he means they have descovered another hybrid aspect of their abilities Eliserah commented on my thoughts.

Ahhh yes it makes sense now. I'm glad they did, I can't handle even the thought of them being captured. I'd go ballistic.

Just before we reached the entrance to the cave, I saw fawn. It would have to do as food, the deer I had in my sights earlier was long gone. I'd just have to hope the pack wolves left soon so we wouldn't starve.

I dragged the carcass of the fawn through the forest to the cave, squeezing it through the entrance just barely. When I got home I left the fawn in a corner while I did a thorough, but quick, examination of my babies. They were all fine, just a little dusty from the run.

Afterwards, I went back outside and covered the trial dragging the fawn had left. It was only about mid-day, according to the position of the sun. It felt like it had been days since we were hunting the deer. When I was done, I went back to the cave to cook what little meat the fawn had.

====================================

It had been almost a week since the pack wolves arrived, and they were still lurking around. Every day, I'd leave the cave and cautiously search to see if they'd left.

Every day, I'd catch their scent almost as soon as I stepped outside. They were too close to us for me to be able to hunt for food, and today would be the day we ran out. I hadn't eaten since day two, so that the pups would have a longer lasting food supply. I had smoked the meat from the fawn, but it had been pretty young and thin.

Luckily we still had the water from the wash room to drink. We'd set up a system before the pups had arrived. We used a cooler left behind at a human camp site and took up water with it, leaving it out in the first chamber where we cook and play, since it is cooler there and the water gets pretty cold. We don't need cups since we're usually in wolf form so it's perfect.

Unluckily, the cooler we use for going to the rest room hasn't been emptied since we went into hiding. Usually every day I would go outside and dump it far away from the entrance. Because of that, and the noise that the kids make that could carry outside and alert the pack wolves to where we are, we don't go into the first chamber often. The kids have to play in the washroom or the bedroom, careful not to fall into the water or the small fire I had going for light.

Because of the lack of food on my end, I was getting pretty weak. I had to hunt soon or I wouldn't be able to protect the children. I asked Eliserah what we should do.