Chapter 15

Callisto POV

My eyes were on fire with fatigue. I hadn't closed my eyes for more than a few seconds the whole night.

The sun was peeking through the small dusty window of the cell. Having gone so many years without a clock or watch, I was now able to guess roughly what time of day it was by judging how strong the light was. From what I could tell it was somewhere around 8am.

The pups were showing signs of waking soon. Artemis was stretching every so often, and the boys were shifting every couple minutes. I had learned the signs from watching them their whole lives. I don't know if other mothers enjoyed the little things like that, but watching my children sleep gave me a sort of comfort.

I felt a deep ache in my chest knowing my children weren't free right now, and it was my fault. I should have been able to prevent this somehow.

I was pulled out of my guilt when Apollo woke up, pulling himself out of the puppy pile to use the bathroom in the bucket they provided for us. His movement caused a chain reaction, waking up Artemis, followed by Ares.

Hello my babies, did you guys sleep okay?

Mum, why are we here? I want to go home. Artemis ignored my question and asked her own, sounding pretty confused. I didn't know what to tell her. 

Children, we're going to be here for a few days. Mumma got hurt yesterday and we were brought here so they could help us. Be on your best behaviour, please. I don't want to cause any trouble while we're here. Understood?

The kids knew the difference between my wolf and I when talking through our family link. They love and respect us both the same, though.

Despite Eliserah's explanation, I could still feel their confusion. Even so, they confirmed that they understood what she told them.

But can we go outside? I want to play, mum! Ares spoke with a slight whine to his voice. I felt so bad, I knew we wouldn't be aloud out.

How about you guys play chase in here? I don't think we can go outside right now. 

They were so disappointed, but they eventually decided to make the best of the situation.

While they ran around after each other I stayed in the middle of the room. It had been almost an hour since they woke up, and there was still no sign of anyone coming down to the dungeon. I didn't want to see anyone, but the food that was left in the container from last night was not enough to satisfy the pups, and the food left for the pups in the dish was rock hard. The water was gone as well.

As time wore on I got more and more frustrated. If it was just me I wouldn't care, but there are children down here with me, damnit!

Luckily the kids were so into their game now that they didn't pick up on my tension. Eliserah was feeling the same way. By the time we heard the door open it was past noon.

I wasn't sure exactly who to expect, but I was surprised when it wasn't Mitchell.

Instead, the woman from last night came into view. The bitch who had been too close to my babies and my mate. She appeared taller than me, but in my wolf form I couldn't actually be sure. Her red hair went past her shoulders and her light green eyes went perfectly with the colour of her hair. I hated it.

I may not like my mate, maybe I even wanted to fight him over what he's doing to me and my pups, but I didn't like the fact that my mate spent time with someone who looked like her. I felt inferior, covered in scars with my tangled hair. My eyes weren't nearly as spectacular as hers.