Chapter 14

Callisto POV

I almost couldn't believe what was happening. I didn't realize that telling him about my children might not go as I planned.

When I escaped Alexi's basement I never thought I would end up a prisoner in another one. This time it was my mate who put me here, and my children were with me.

I had to get out. I couldn't give up like I did with the vampires. I had no idea what was in store for me in the future if I stayed here, and I didn't want to find out.

Despite my loud weeping, the children were still asleep. That proved how exhausted they were, and it was lucky for me that they didn't wake up. I didn't want them to see me like this.

I was still standing in the same spot from when he locked us in, so instead of sitting back down and finishing the food, I walked around the cell. I wanted to see if there was something I could use to pick the lock, but this cell was unusually clean. The bars on the small window high up on the wall were all firmly in place. 

There was no escape.

I changed back into my wolf and resumed cuddling with my children. It didn't make me feel any better, though.

I didn't sleep. I refused to close my eyes while my babies were in danger. Instead, I stayed awake thinking. The more I thought, the more I resented even the idea of mates. Even if my mate hated me, he shouldn't have locked me and my pups in a dungeon.

I understood that I had hurt him, but I wasn't in control of my circumstances. Maybe if he had taken the time to talk to me, we wouldn't be in this situation. I didn't whore myself to some man, and him thinking that made my wolf cry out inside me.

I hate him, Eliserah. Our mate is a horrible person. Why? Why would fate give us someone like him, after all we've been through?

Callisto! Do not say things like that, you can not hate our mate! He is just hurt, and lashing out. His wolf doesn't feel the same way as he does, his wolf wants to keep us with him and love us. Maybe if we just give him some time, he'll see that what he's doing to us now is wrong. 

I can not keep our pups here on a MAYBE, Eliserah! MAYBE he'll see he's wrong, MAYBE he'll let us out and love us, MAYBE HE'LL COME IN HERE AND SLAUGHTER OUR BABIES! Even if he realizes what he's doing to us, what says I'll forgive this? This is too much, I can not love someone who treats their soulmate like this.

You're right, Callisto. We will take our first chance and escape with the pups.

I almost felt bad. Eliserah sounded so defeated. But she had to realize where I was coming from. I'd spent years as a prisoner, I refused to do it again. My children wouldn't be subjected to this for much longer either.

I put my head on my paws and started thinking about how to escape.

===================================

Alpha Mitchell O'Brien POV

I had retreated to my office after leaving the dungeon. I wasn't going to be able to sleep so there was no point going to my bedroom.

I sat at my desk, staring at nothing, thinking about my mate.

Now that I'd calmed down some more, I started to regret reveling in her suffering. I had never in my life wanted to cause someone pain like that before, let alone enjoyed it to the point where it improved my mood.

What is wrong with me?

I would like to know the answer to that as well. How could you treat her like that? Our mate is downstairs hurting because of you. I can still hear her wolf crying.

She hurt us, Maximus. Why are you so ready to let her in? She'll just hurt us again. I may have gone overboard, but I wasn't completely wrong in my actions.

It's because I feel the mate bond much stronger than you do. In reality what you feel is a mere echo of what her wolf and I feel for each other. Because of that, I am more ready to forgive her and start our life together as a mated couple, despite how angry and hurt I'm feeling because of what she did in her past.

Yeah? What about the kids? If we keep her around, that means they stay around. Not only our pack, but every other pack out there, will look down on us and think us weak for taking in another mans child. Or whatever the fuck their father is.

Keep them locked up, then. We can not kill them, but if we lock them up we don't have to look into their bastard faces. We will make her stay with us, as the Luna, and if she tries to escape tell her the pups will have to deal with the consequences. If anyone asks, she will not tell anyone they are hers, she'll claim no relation and say she found them abandoned. Eventually, she'll come to love us and we can deal with the pups somehow.

What makes you think she'll actually go along with that? She knows we will not kill the pups, since they're still alive even now, so she could refuse. What then?

Make her.

He stopped talking after that. I thought over what he said, and I realized his ideas weren't half bad. The only problem I saw was with the 'make her' part. I had no idea how to do that.

Keeping her by my side, using those kids as leverage, wasn't ideal in a mate bond. But I didn't see how I had another choice.

If I freed her and the children, my pack would be the laughing stock of the supernatural world. If I kept her locked down there, she'd eventually find a way to escape and I would never see her again.

So tomorrow I would go back down there and tell her what I decided.

Hopefully the rage I felt initially wouldn't return. If it did, who knows what I'd do to my mate.