Chapter 8

A/N - I've gone back into the other chapters to fix some inconsistancies I found after re-reading each one in order. If something didn't make sense to you and you check to see if I've fixed it and I haven't, comment or message me about it and I'll fix it or explain it to you. Thank you all for the support so far :)

Alpha Mitchell O'Brien POV

I had my head in my hands, trying to squeeze the headache out of it, when there was a knock at my office door. I sat up and schooled my features, I can't show weakness to any of my pack members. Not even the weakness of a headache.

"Come in." I said, sounding stern like my father had taught me. It came naturally now. I've been the alpha since I was twenty-three years old. Two years of running the pack alone, and I was growing weary already.

While I had been lost in thought for a moment, the person who knocked on the door had come and stood in front of my desk now, waiting to be acknowledged. It was Carter Hammond, the Beta of my pack. I didn't particularly like him, and sure as hell didn't trust the guy. He wasn't serious enough for his job in my opinion, but so far he hasn't gotten the pack killed so I can't get rid of him with no real reason.

"What do you want?" I was not in the mood to deal with anyone, especially someone who grated my nerves like he did.

"Alpha, the group of wolves you sent to deal with the rouge near Mt. Moriah has returned. They're in bad shape, and are being tended to by the pack doctor as we speak."

By the end of his sentence, my headache was ten times worse. We had caught wind of a rouge in our territory not more than two months ago. It seems the rouge had been with us for a long time now, and had kept it's self hidden very well. I had sent groups out to investigate, and had lost a few good men to the mission. At least this time they've all come back alive.

"Tell me why no matter how many I send, they can never apprehend one goddamn rouge. They're trained grown men, damn it!" Carter looked surprised at my small outburst, but hid it well very quickly. This headache was getting the best of me and that wasn't okay.

"Alpha, we are not sure if this rouge is trained, and we are also not sure if it was sent here to spy or kill us all stealthily one by one. A few of the men who have just returned also think the rouge is a female."

"A female? I highly doubt that. A female couldn't take out every man I've sent to the mountains like this rouge has. It looks like I'm going to take care of this myself, since my pack warriors are so incompetent. When I return I will have the rouge, and we will question him before we kill him. After that, we triple our training. It's obvious this pack has been slacking. Find me ten men who won't disappoint me and tell them to be ready to leave by six in the morning tomorrow. While I'm gone, you're in charge. If you mess this up, you're done as this packs Beta."

"Yes, sir , Alpha O'Brien." I could see the determination to prove his worth to me in his eyes as he turned to do as I bid. I was almost certain the pack would all be dead when I returned.

-----------------------

The next morning I was up at five, preparing to leave to the mountains. We weren't far from them, living on the outskirts of Gorham, New Hampshire. I wanted to be done with this rouge problem by dinner.

After I packed what I would need - a change of clothes in case things got bloody - I stood at my bedroom window for a few moments. The pack house was surrounded by forest. The treeline started a quarter mile from the house in any direction for a clear view of the grounds in case of an attack. My living quarters were on the very top floor of the house, which had four stories, not including the basement.