Chapter 7

-- 5 YEARS LATER --

We were getting low on food, and the pups were getting restless. I figured now would be as good a time as any to hunt, and take the pups with me for the first time. They needed to start learning anyway.

Ares, Artemis, Apollo! I called the pups to me with the mind link we had shared since their birth. I had first heard Apollo in my mind back then, and remembering it now had my eyes misting even in wolf form.

*** FLASHBACK ***

After our first pup arrived, the other two were fairly quick to follow. Within an hour there were two more pups to lick clean; a tiny girl with black fur and another boy with fur like snow.

They're so beautifulI murmured in our shared mind.

They are. And now we have to name them. What do you think? I was thinking of giving them names from Greek mythology, names of gods and goddesses. They very well may be the first of their kind, they deserve names that stand out.

You're right. But I know nothing of Greek mythology, so-

I stopped speaking when I felt a nudge on our mind. It was almost intrusive, but it felt familiar and safe.

What is that, Eliserah? I was almost panicking when she chuckled.

That is our pup, Calli. No need to worry. A mother and her pups share a mind link of their own, a family link. If there were a male wolf for their father, he would be included in the link as well. I'm going to open us up to our pups now.

After she said that, I felt it. We had a direct link to the pups minds. Instead of a nudge this time, I heard baby gargling and got flashes of white fur and my face in wolf form. This connection was to the youngest pup, he wanted attention. Eliserah gave the reigns back to me, so I could control my body again. I leaned towards him and licked his face, and he sent me a feeling on contentment.

Soon after that I got flashes and feelings from the other two, who were feeling left out. I chuckled wearily in my mind, this wasn't going to be easy. My body was sore and aching, and I was ready to sleep for days, but now I had these little ones. A question popped into my mind.

Eliserah, why are they pups? Shouldn't they be human babies? I was pretty confused. I may have shifted early, but this... this should be impossible. I looked at my children, wondering. Right then, my firstborn opened his eyes, and mine widened in shock. They were blood red.

I've been trying to figure that out since the first one was born. I'm not sure exactly, but I think it's the vampire in them.  I'm not sure how long they'll stay pups, or if they'll have the control to turn human. Their eyes are obviously a by-product of the vampire genes. Like I said before, though, we'll handle it as it comes.

By the time she finished talking, the other two had opened their eyes. Both sets were blood red like their brother's. I nodded my head at her conclusion, and decided anything they did that wasn't normal for a wolf wouldn't surprise me after this.

I've thought of names. Let me know if you like them. The firstborn should be Ares, god of war. He will be the protector of the other two, and you when he is full grown. He'll be fierce and a great fighter. Our girl should be Artemis, goddess of the hunt, wilderness, and animals. She will be a provider, sleek and stealthy when in the forest. Our youngest should be Apollo, god of music, arts, knowledge, and healing. He will be the one they look to for knowledge, he will be talented with his hands, and he will always want to help those in need, or in pain.

I was in awe at her choices. They were beautiful, and I felt certain they would grow into exactly what their namesakes stand for. I looked at my pups once more, a wolfy grin on my face.