Chapter 25: Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)

Chapter 25

Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)

The next morning i woke up to find James, tommy, josh, and Brandon all sitting on the floor of my room in a tight circle.

There was a phone on the ground in the middle of them.

I wiped my eyes without saying anything.

Suddenly someone said something; even though they were far away, the phone was on speaker so i could hear everything.

"Hello?"

I knew that voice. My voice caught in my throat and i covered my mouth to keep from screaming.

I quickly closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep, feeling someone's eyes fixed on me.

"Yeah, hi," i heard josh mutter into the phone. The three other boys muttered something incoherent into the phone also, then Ross spoke again.

"Erm... Who is this?"

"Oh, you don't know who we are?" tommy asked. I could just imagine his eyes flashing with anger.

"We're Carly's brothers," James muttered.

I heard Ross take a deep breath and dared to open one eye slightly to glance at the boys.

Their heads were all pressed against each other, and they were leaned in so close to the phone on the floor that i was surprised that they weren't toppling forward from being top heavy.

"Look, ok, i wasn't cheating on Jordan, it--"

"Do you know how much you hurt her?!" Brandon shouted, cutting Ross off.

I heard Ross's voice catch in his throat and almost sobbed. "I know," he whispered after a moment.

"She loved you," josh whispered.

"I love her still!" Ross shouted.

"Oh yeah, and that's why you cheated on her!" Brandon shouted.

"How dare you hurt her!! No one hurts my little Jordan! NO ONE!" tommy cried.

How did they think i would sleep through this?

"It wasn't my fault!" Ross shouted.

"Oh? Ok, well even if it WAS true that you weren't cheating on her, that girl was kissing you against your will--" James's voice was rising with the second.

"That was exactly it!" Ross shouted.

"Then why didn't you fight?! Can you honestly say that you werent kissing that girl back?!" James shouted.

Ross was silent.

"That's what i thought," James whispered.

"Just stay away from Jordan," Brandon said quietly.

"No, I'm not going to stay away from her! I love Jordan!" Ross shouted.

"Yeah right!" tommy shouted. "Stay away from Jordan!" and he threw the phone at the wall, making it crumble to pieces.

I didn't know what to do.

The four of them had just told Ross to back away from me.

If i confronted them now, who knew what they'd say.

But if i didn't, what then?

They all quickly got up and walked robotically out the door, making me miss my opportunity.

I covered my face with my hands and felt my heart break once again.

Later that day i left a note on the counter saying that i had gone out for a ride on Greyson. I didn't know when I'd be back.