Chapter 13

The memory that appeared was the same one Midoriya saw when he entered the black mist for the first time.

His younger self's cries echoed around him, Bakugo's face shaped into a malicious grimace and the ill words he spoke seemed to have no end.

But this time Midoriya felt no fear, or shame, or pain, nor was he held down by a grudge. Instead he felt the need to act, and to let go.

The spiteful red eyes of the past were replaced by those affectionate ones of the present, ones that always seem to light up whenever Bakugo came to visit him.

Despite feeling no change in the space around him, the memory in front of him vanished as if it was carried by a wind.

He continued moving until another painful memory appeared, and just like the first one it was carried away by the absent wind once Midoriya let go of it.

Memories of the past had appeared one by one, and they disappeared as such.

Midoriya continued moving for some time but nothing appeared before him, instead he found himself slowly being surrounded by trees that became fewer as he continued forward. A creek could be heard nearby.

He paused for a moment; the sound of the moving water was familiar despite it being years since the last time he heard it.

When he walked out of the forest he found himself below two hills that were connected by a large tree trunk, a stream ran between them. And in it a small figure with blonde spiky hair sat with his back turned to Midoriya. The kid version of Bakugo was trying to get up but every time he would fall back, as if the water wasn't letting him go, making him extremely frustrated.

Midoriya watched for a moment, unsure of what to do but he decided on following his gut. He approached Bakugo and crouched down behind him.

"Hey, need some help? "

Bakugo turned around, making an irritated expression.
"Buzz off you lame Deku! I can get up by myself!"

As if trying to prove it he began getting up but he fell down again. And again. And again. With each try he got more angrier and Midoriya just let him do what he wanted until he eventually gave up.

"Here-"
Midoriya offered him a hand.

"I don't want your help!"
Bakugo slapped away Midoriya's hand.

"Well, I'm still going to offer it."
Midoriya smiled a bit, offering his hand again.

"Why? "
Bakugo asked in a rather confused tone, his eyes focused on the offered helping hand.

"Because... I want t o help you out."

"But you're weak."
Bakugo simply stated, eyes staring at the green ones.

Midoriya was taken back a bit but his reassuring smile quickly returned.
"I know... but despite that I'll try to help you get up."

"...Fine."

The second Bakugo took Midoriya's hand and got up, the world around Midoriya bursted into a blinding spark, forcing him to cover his eyes.

When the light began withdrawing and he could see again, Midoriya realized he was standing in the hospital hallway but there was something odd about it, like the white walls around him had a dim glow to them. In front of him the hallway seemed to stretch into what he would describe as glowing nothingness. And yet the warmth that radiated from it was tempting.
He looked over his shoulder and noticed the same situation was behind him.

As he turned his head the window to his left caught his eyes; it was snowing. So yet again time must have passed while he was "away".

At that moment he remembered to check on himself but there was no need for him to even move, the open door that led to his room was on his right. A warm fuzzy feeling spread through him as he watched the rhythmical movements of Bakugo's back as he was sleeping, the warmth in Midoriya's left hand indicating that Bakugo kept a hold on it even after falling into a slumber.

Be it due to some sixth sense, Midoriya instinctively turned his head forward, noticing a familiar figure approaching him from the white mist in front of him.

"So... what now? "

Toshinori gave a bright smile, his shoulders relaxed as he placed his hands in the pockets of his dashing dark grey suit.
"Now you choose what you want."

Toshinori's eyes glanced at Midoriya's room.
"You can stay and live out your remaining life on this Earth."

He then pointed behind him.
"You can join me on the other side and truly put your worries to rest."

He lowered his hand as his eyes looked behind Midoriya, giving him another reassuring smile as if saying 'well done'.
"Or you can start over again, and live a life you always wanted."

Midoriya frowned as he focused on the sight behind Toshinori, then on the space behind him, and finally on Bakugo's back.

There really wasn't such a thing as a wrong choice here. It truly was just about what he wanted.

The afterlife promised a restful existence judging by the way Toshinori carried himself.

The new life offered him an opportunity to be what he always wanted to be; a Hero.

And his current life consisted of people who meant the world to him. But it also consistent of struggles he'll still have to face.

And it was uncertain, for the bright future he hopes for could get tainted again.

And he could be left with even more scars.

He took a step inside the room, making his choice. The world around him instantly began fading, his own body started feeling heavy as if something was pulling him closer to his own physical body.

"Ah, one more thing young Midoriya!"
Toshinori called out, making Midoriya step back and grip the door frame in order to stay put. It seemed as if Toshinori himself was starting to slowly fade away.

"To save only one soul or thousands of them, does the first choice make you any less of a Hero? " he gave a heartwarming smile. "To throw away your own happiness and even life for the sake of someone else, so that you may show them a brighter future, that alone makes you worthy of such a title."

The world faded to white but Midoriya still managed to see the familiar figure shape of his childhood idol.

"So take this to the heart young man; you too can become a Hero."