Chapter 7

"You can stop here." Midoriya informed the taxi driver and quickly got out once the vehicle stopped.

Call it paranoia but he decided to stop a few blocks away from his new temporary residence and continue on foot due to the fear of being found.
But he prepared in advance for this so everything should be alright.

He ignored the painful hole that seemed to spread in the middle of his chest as he mentally went over the stuff he'll need to check on once he arrives.
If any of his belongings were left at Bakugo's place then he might as well get a replacement since he wasn't planning on going back.

His chest began aching again.
Bakugo...

He was so lost in his own pitiful thoughts that he didn't even hear the steps behind him.

Suddenly he was grabbed by the hood of his jacket, forcing him to stumble backwards before being caught by the elbow and turned around, pressed against a figure whose shape was all too familiar.

"Found you."
A dose of pride was present in Bakugo's huffed voice.

Midoriya was paralyzed for a second before furiously trying to get away.
"Let me go!"

"Not until we talk!"

"Fine!" Midoriya managed to break away, taking a step back. "What do you want?! "

Bakugo opened his mouth but quickly closed them, obviously unsure on how to continue. And when he thought he finally found the right words, he'd stop again.

"I can't believe you." Midoriya huffed and began walking away.

But Bakugo grabbed him again.
"Stop running away!"

"And if I don't?!" Midoriya jerked back his hand, not even bothering to suppress his anger "You're gonna punch me? "

The words echoed throughout the empty streets, Bakugo feeling like he just received a slap.

"Shouldn't be an issue for you." Midoriya couldn't help not to whisper the last part, refusing to look at Bakugo.

"What the hell did you just say? "

"You heard me."
The glare he threw Bakugo's way was cold and filled with both rage and pain.

The pink elephant that they ignored so far wasn't just making an escape from its cage; it was absolutely destroying it and everything else in its way to freedom.

"What the fuck do you want me to do?!" Bakugo snapped at him "Apologize?!"

"Yes!"
That simple word held so much emotion.

Midoriya's throat felt torn as he gritted his teeth, hating the fact that even at this age his tears were quick to appear.

After making another expression as if he just received a slap, Bakugo lowered his head, seeming small despite his tall and strong build.
"...change anything."

Midoriya had trouble understanding what he whispered.
"What? "

"I said it wouldn't change anything!" Bakugo snapped again, his own eyes filling with tears of frustration in the corners.

"You think I don't regret it?! I do!"
He made a step towards Midoriya who was currently the one with the shocked expression.

"I wake up every damn morning thinking of the shit I've done and I go to sleep with the same thoughts!"
He rubbed his face in frustration as he paced around, trying to calm down.

He eventually stopped, his back turned to Midoriya.

"You know what's the most difficult part? " he turned his head in order to properly look into Midoriya's green eyes, "The fact that I can't change the past, I can apologize as much as you like but that won't change what I've done," he turned back his head "there's no meaning in apologizing then."

What he didn't expect at that moment was that Midoriya would laugh; it wasn't a cheerful laugh, but one filled with disbelief. He turned around, hating the mess in which Midoriya's face turned.

Anger took over Midoriya as he got close to Bakugo.
"It's always about you isn't it? "

Bakugo wasn't expecting that response and Midoriya refused to give him time to recover.

"Everything was always about you; your pride," Midoriya pushed his chest, making him step back from the shock, "your insecurities," another push "you!"

The words he never had the courage to say were finally coming out.
"Even after I found out I was quirkless you still managed to make it about you and your superiority complex! And that one was there only to cover your inferiority complex!"

He didn't care about the damage he was causing; he just wanted Bakugo to feel the same pain he did.

"Why the hell would you be threatened by a quirkless loser like me?!" he shouted the last words but still wasn't done.

"No meaning?! It means something to me!"
He punched his own chest, his vision becoming completely blurry from the tears.

The anger seemed to have melted away. Now only heartache remained as he spoke in a broken voice.
"After everything, isn't the least I deserve an apology? "

Besides Midoriya's heavy breathing there were no other sounds around them. Midoriya furiously wiped his tears and began walking away from Bakugo who seemed to be frozen in place.

But after realizing that Midoriya was getting away Bakugo snapped back to reality and chased after him.
"Oi!"

Midoriya stopped in the middle of the road, turning around to face him.

Now that all that he held in for so long was finally out, the one thing he never had the courage to acknowledge begged to be let out as well.
And Midoriya had nothing else to lose.

"You know what's the most pitiful thing in all of this? "

Bakugo stopped right on the edge of the pavement, unsure how to react after hearing such an honestly painful tone and seeing a genuine, yet anguishing smile on Midoriya's tear stained face.
"After everything you've done, I still lov-"

Have you ever had one of those nightmares where, no matter your efforts to run away and scream, your body just wouldn't move, unable to escape the terror you were feeling?
That's exactly how Midoriya felt when his sentence was caught off.

Things seemed to be in slow motion but he was aware of Bakugo's expression turning from shocked to frightened when the lights appeared.

And somewhere in the background he was aware that Bakugo called out to him as he jumped towards him, his voice getting lost in the sound of the vehicle honking.

After that came the darkness of nothingness.