Chapter 11

Bakugo originally planned on taking Midoriya's stuff from his new apartment into the rented van and driving them back to his place. But once he was finished and only one sealed box remained next to the couch, he laid down for a minute to rest a bit and sleep naturally came over him.

The light he left on was what eventually woke him up, the brightness irritating his closed eyes until he opened them.

"Ugh fuck..." he cursed in a husky voice as he sat up, his bones cracking while he stretch, indicating that the small piece of furniture definitely wasn't intended to be a bed replacement for someone of his built.

Still a bit sleepy he reached for his phone and, seeing that 5 AM passed a while ago, he considered laying back down again but he figured it would be bad to fall back asleep. Plus he didn't feel like listening to his chiropractor bitching about his posture.

His focus went to the box next to his feet; unlike the other ones that were no longer there, this one was in a much more tattered condition, so it was probably important to Deku.

A hollow feeling spread from the middle of Bakugo's chest as he thought of the green eyes he hadn't seen in weeks. He gritted his teeth, hating the emotional mess inside of him that occurred whenever he thought about Midoriya. And looking at the box was just making things worse.

As much as he didn't want to, he should give the stuff to Deku's parents seeing that once Midoriya wakes up he'll probably need to move in with them since there's a good chance he'll be unable to take care of himself alone.

Another wave of nauseousness came over him as he remembered the first time Deku's parents came to the hospital to see him. Bakugo might have gone against the most notorious villains out there but he had no guts to face Midoriya's parents, instead he waited outside the room until Inko's cries eventually died down.

After that he only crossed paths with her twice and he was practically avoiding her at this point, having no courage to look her in the eyes after everything he had done. Or rather what he didn't do at that crossroad, and what he did in the past.

He grit his teeth again, his face twisting into a grimace of torment as the images of the past filled his mind. He really could've used a good beating when he was a kid.

But there was no way to erase the past, he could only focus on making a brighter future. The thing was, will he be a part of Midoriya's?

He was fully aware that he had no right to be by Midoriya's side anymore and that letting him go was the best way to start making things right from now on.

The problem was that the selfish, clingy bastard within him had no intention of letting go. Really, there's not a better substitute for coffee than self loathing.

Be it his curiosity or need to distract himself, he reached for the box and began opening it, struggling to remove the tape that sealed it.

The first thing that entered his field of vision were the familiar red, white, blue and yellow colors. He hesitantly reached for the worn out fabric, bringing the All Might themed hoodie closer to him.

A side smirk appeared on his face; he had the exact same one when he was a kid. Though it would be impossible to wear it now, and the same went for Midoriya's, Deku probably just kept it for nostalgic reasons. Same as Bakugo.

He frowned as his hand traveled over the area above his heart, the scar tingling underneath his touch. Back then he was also too slow to react.

He's been told countless times that there were many alternatives to how things could've played out, and yet those same people couldn't deny that if Bakugo was just a bit faster, even for a split second, he could've taken the full blow instead of All Might and the guy could still be around.

But that's yet another burden he'll have to carry to his grave.

He clenched his throat as he neatly folded the hoodie and placed it next to him, continuing his searching. The box was filled with mostly All Might merch, Bakugo even recognized some of them, seeing them in Midoriya's room back when they would still play together. It seemed only important things were placed in the box.

Putting down the last action figure next to him, Bakugo reached the bottom of the box that mostly consisted of newspapers and notebooks from what he could tell.

But he immediately recognized the notebook at the top of the pile. He reached out for the burnt pages, barely making out the faded writing; Hero Analysis for the Future, No.13.

His stomach turned as he recalled the time he burned that thing and tossed it out the window, enjoying the torment on Midoriya's face the action brought. Again, he really could've used a good beating when he was a kid.

Bakugo skimmed through the old pages, reminded that Deku definitely had the brains that could get him far. Despite that he still stood firm on the fact that the quirkless Midoriya couldn't make it as a Hero in the current state the world was in, and this wasn't coming from a malicious standpoint but rather from the perspective of someone who had seen just how ugly the world could get. And that ugliness was sure to be what would eventually break down Midoriya.

He continued looking through the rest of the notebooks, placing them next to him until there were no more left and he reached for the articles and magazine pages at the bottom of the box. He immediately noticed that almost all of them had his signature on them and while he couldn't remember when exactly he signed each of them, he was sure that he had seen them before.

As he continued looking he came across articles from the time he was still a student at U.A.
So Deku kept tabs on him even after they split.

Another thing caught his eyes; most of the signed papers that came from his Pro-Hero era were written by the same person, "Kedu".

His eyes kept going over the name but in his tired mind the letters started moving around, changing their order.

K e d u

K u d e

D u k e

E d u k

E k u d

K u d e

D e k u