eight

Making my way towards the entrance of my school, a hand grips onto my shoulders and spins me around into a tight hug.

"Heyy girl, I missed you so much over the weekend, I wish we could've hung out but my mum was so pissed with me she grounded me" maxine tells me. "It's fine don't worry about it, we can hang out this weekend" I smile to her.

"Yes absolutely! Now we have to talk about sophomore sleepover!!" she says with excitement as we walk to our lockers. "Is your mum allowing you to go?" I ask. There's no way I'd go without Maxine there. "Yeah after I washed both of my parents cars, did three loads of laundry and cleaned my room, my mum finally allowed me to go" Maxine replies. "Thank goodness" I say relieved.

"Here's the real question though, do I make a move on Riley?" she asks. "I'm not sure but maybe just see what happens?" I reply. She sighs, "Yeah good idea. Oh and Amelie, what's up with you and Alex?" she nudges me and winks. "He asked me to be his girlfriend on Saturday, we are just seeing where things go I guess" I tell her as I take my books out of my locker. "OMG you didn't even tell me Amelie!!" she says low-key annoyed. "Sorry Max I was going to tell you today anyways" I laugh.

Norah and Abby come up to us and we all share hugs. "Who's excited for sophomore sleepover?" Norah asks. Abby and Maxine both shout, "I am!!". They all look at me waiting for my response. "Me too!!" I say sarcastically and we all laugh.

"What are we going to wear" I ask the girls. "I have our shirts" Norah replies excitedly. "Our shirts?" I ask. "Yip I got one for each of us with our first initial on it so it spells out AMAN" Norah says clapping her hands. "And we are wearing our PJ bottoms" Maxine says. "Ugh. Are we?" Abby asks. "Yes we are. And it's gonna be lit!" Maxine replies. "Okay this sounds like so much fun I can't wait" I say.

We all separate making our way to our classes. Walking by myself to my maths class I felt a hand wrap over my shoulder stopping me in my tracks, Alex. "Hello gorgeous" the boy says (boke). "Hey" I reply. We were standing in the hallway near the red wall. He bent down to my height and started kissing me. In the corner of my eye I could see Marcus walking past not noticing us. I quickly pulled away so Marcus couldn't see us kissing. Alex looked at me confused. "Sorry it's just I have to get to class. I don't want to get shouted at by Mr Willis infront of everyone. I'll see you later" I say whilst giving him a quick peck on the lips and heading down the maths corridor.

.....

Finally. School was over. The last three periods of science were torture, nearly the death of me. What even is an element? I don't understand anything to do with chemistry at this point. But who does?

Me and the girls were told to go to Norahs house, to get ready for the sleepover at school. They were all so excited as we put on our tops with our own initials, mine being the A. After what seemed like four hours of getting ready we were finally done. Hair and makeup all ready to go.

Norahs mum drove us to school and we all got out of the car. In a line we walked towards the entrance so our shirts would spell out AMAN.

My mother and Maxine's are at the door collecting everyone's tickets to get in. I swear she better not embarrass me tonight. "Girls!" my mum shouts. Ugh here we go. "A-M-A-N. Am... What's AMAN?" Ellen, Maxine's mum asks. "AMAN. Like A MAN. And can you just, like, not?" Maxine says, then by seeing her mums reaction she continues, "But I love you, and I'm super grateful to be here"

"AMAN, like Raman" Norahs mum asks. "Mum, no" Norah shakes her head weirded out.

My mother turns to me as I keep giving her dirty looks. "What's with the faces miss sassy pants?" she asks me. "Ugh just don't talk about any of your ex-husbands or boyfriends. It wouldn't be like you to keep your mouth shut. Just please don't embarrass me in front of all my friends" I say getting fed up already. "Fine. I'll stay out of your way, big A" she laughs as she looks down at my shirt with the letter 'A' on it. I roll my eyes and walk with my friends into the school.

The music blasting through the speakers, we all walk into the hall. "Ok, this is even better than I could have imagined!" Maxine shouts to us. "Holy crap, this is insane" I say.

Everyone is dancing and having fun while the music plays throughout the school. I spot Alex walking towards me, he grabs my hand and we all start dancing in the middle of the hall. The hall was packed full of students, lights flashing every colour of the rainbow.

"Oh, wait, wait, wait. I have a great idea. Your gonna love this!" Maxine tells us. She drags us into a photo booth and we take lots of photos. Maxine stuck her tongue out, I pouted my lips, Norah winked and Abby threw the peace sign. As we were posing waiting for another photo Alex popped his head through the curtain. "Mind if I get one with Amelie?" He asks the girls. The all turn to me. "Oh yeah please, be my guest, it's all yours" they quickly stutter and say.

I sit in the booth waiting for Alex to join me. Smiling at him as he sits down, he turns to me. "Having fun?" he asks. "Yeah this whole thing is just unbelievable" I laugh as a picture is taken. "What's your favourite part so far?" I ask him. "This" he says as he leans in and gives me a kiss on the lips, a picture captures the cute moment. We pull away and smile at each other.

We step out of the photo booth and I take the photos out of the machine. I laugh at them with Alex and then put them in my pocket. We walk to the dance floor and everyone starts dancing again.

Looking up I see my mum watching me with my friends. I walk up to her. "I knew you'd want to dance to this one. It's one of our favourites" she says to me. "Mum, stop staring at me it's creepy. I love you but please go somewhere else. Oh and can you please hold on to these for me? Thanks" I say as I give her the photos from the photo booth and walk back to my friends.

After a while me and the girls ended up at the makeup stall. They were fixing their hair and a staff member was fixing my makeup. As she was leaning over me to grab some mascara, she spilt coffee all down my top. "Oh my word I'm so so sorry" the woman says on the verge of tears. "It's fine don't worry about it, I'll just go to the changing rooms and find a jacket to wear" I say kindly when in reality I was fuming, but the woman seemed so fragile I didn't want to be mean.

"Do you want us to come with you?" Maxine asks for the group. "No it's fine, I got it" I say walking towards the changing rooms.