19: Not so safe

"Don't try to be something to everyone. Be everything to someone."
~Anonymous

The phone in my purse begins to ring and I bring it out I see the caller ID as Anna and I flip it open and place it to my ears a little confused because I already called her earlier today.

"Hello, Anna?"

"Hello, Quynn," she replies with a somewhat amused tone of voice. "Nice gown, Eli knows how much I love neon green. How's the party going?" She asks.

I turn around in my seat, wondering if she's the bar. She somehow knows what I'm wearing and that means she's either here or someone is here watching me. She still having people follow me and report back to her.

I feel anger begin to boil in my blood, knowing how much I'm already sacrificing just to be her perfect Ms Wilson and yet still being followed, but I try not to dwell on it.

I stare around trying to catch Eli amongst the crowd of people but failing. "It's going fine, Anna, we will be leaving soon."

"Very good then."

"Why are you still having me followed?" I demand, unable to hide the fury in my voice.

"You ask a lot of irrelevant questions you know, don't ask why, just do what you have to do and we will not have any problem." She bluntly states.

I press my lips together, "I'm doing what you want, so this doesn't make sense."

"I have already wired the first instalment of your payment into your account. You succeeded the first week and now you have two weeks left."

If a "thank you" is what she's waiting to hear, she can forget it because she's not getting any from me.

And taking the phone from my ear, I end the call and close the phone.

I get down from the stool and as my legs touch the floor, they quake unsteadily and without thinking about it I bend down and unbuckle the shoes before taking my feet out of them and setting them into the floor.

Whoever is watching me can go tell Anna what I just did because I'm tired of following every of her damn rule and still be watched and treated like a lab rat.

I pick the heels from the floor and walking away from the side of the bar to get engaged with the people around and maybe catch Eli. I pause when I see him laughing aloud with a female and whatever is causing the laughter appears to be affecting the young woman as well. She's wearing a long, red gown reaching her knee and holding her in all the right places. Her skin is a perfect honey brown skin that seems to glow in her dress. Her hair, her hair is curly black hair and she let it fall over her back. Standing beside Eli, I realise that she's a tall woman, probably around 5'7 and on her three-inch heel, she's now 5'10 beside him. They look so perfect together it hurts.

Their laughter dies and I see Eli look away to Amade who is far away from them with Alicia, but the young woman's eyes remains on him and she stared at him with fascination and adoration. A feeling settles in me but I brush it off and quickly walks towards them, I refuse to let myself get angrier than I already am.

My duty and responsibility are to make sure Eli remains in love with Anna until she returns and I have a lot at stake already.

"Sorry to interrupt," I chip in, flashing the lady a not so friendly smile before turning to Eli who stares at me and the shoe in my hand closely.

"My love, your shoes." He points out with a worried look.

"Had to take them off, turns out I still couldn't walk with them on."

The lady beside him turns to look at me with eyes filled with spite and my hand instantly balls into a fist and I promise one more look from her and I will adjust her jawline, I don't care how pretty she is.

"Anna, meet Keffi Benjamin, she's a loyal partner of the company and with her brilliant ideas and commitments, Sight came to reality." He introduced her with so much fondness and if I didn't know better I'd say he liked her and that doesn't help the way I feel right now.

Anna never told me about Keffi Benjamin and I think it's because she didn't know someone else was after Eli but how would she know? She never took the time off to see him at work for once or bothered herself much about him. I have no training on how to handle her and my instinct is telling me to give her the old fashion shake off. Anna would be a cold-blooded bitch in these types of situation, that's for sure

He wraps his arms around me possessively and I feel very small beside him. I should have ignored the little sprain in my heel and put them on that way I will look better beside him. I glance up to see him smiling down at me lovingly, causing his grey eyes to sparkle in the most beautiful way, "Keffi, meet Anna Wilson, my lovely fianceé whom I can't wait to completely make mine."

I can't help grinning at his bold declaration and I hope Keffi finally gets it.

"It's nice to meet you." I snap out of my thought and see Keffi's hand stretched out to me for a shake.

I grit my teeth, but take her hand into mine nonetheless. "The pleasure is mine, Ms Benjamin."

Our pleasantries are cut short as a voice begins to speak from the back, "Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the CEO of Aiden & co. and chief executive of Sight, Mr Eli Wilson."

The crowd gave a round of applause and Eli immediately looks down at me, "Come with me," he demands with a voice that immediately has me wanting to say yes.

I smile and reach out to stroke his cheek, "I can't, I will only slow you down. Besides this is your moment and you've got this, babe, go kill it. I'll stay here with Keffi," my expression I believe is in support of every word coming from my mouth.

He leans down and pecks my lips before marching towards the stage where he was called to moments ago.

He meets up with the man waiting for him and they shake hands and as the man takes his leave, Eli begins to speak, "Thank you so much for being here, guys. The last eight months we started something and even I didn't know what exactly it was if I'm being honest." The crowd join in small laughter after he takes a pause. "But it was something meant to change the world and eight months later we succeeded. Sight launched today and we are on every hospital and other Optical company's lips and bring clear by the optical boards overseas and it all thanks to every one of you. I may be the CEO of Aiden, but we all are the owners of Sight." They all give him a round of applause.

I step a bit closer towards "tall lady" Keffi and once I'm close enough, I speak, "I would quit looking at him that way if I were you."

"Thank heavens you're not me then." She says spitefully and I didn't need to be told twice to know she wasn't a fan of me, I felt it earlier.

Still, I pursue my goal which is to tell her off, "He is taken, Keffi, you can find yourself another man worth your time."

"He is worth my time and I don't see any ring on his finger though."

I couldn't believe what I'm hearing.

"He is getting married in less than three weeks and there is a ring on my finger to prove it to you."

"A lot can happen in three weeks, Ms Wilson." She assured before walking away from me.

The nerve of this woman.