27: Anna Wilson

"The worst way to miss someone is when they are right beside you and yet you know you can never have them."
~Anonymous
¶¶

I stare at myself in the mirror wearing a long red gown while trying to tuck my slightly protruding tummy by pulling in my muscles and stretching my back a little.

Mitchell happened to be a guy contrary to my first thought and he brought out the red gown, telling me it would be perfect and when I put it on, it further proved his point. He picked out a silver scarlin shoe and a red clutch out and they went with them perfectly. At my request, he brought out a silver coloured glove which I know Anna would love.

My face has about the right amount of make up it needs and thank God that I was already good before I met Anna weeks ago otherwise I wouldn't have been able to catch up as fast as I did. I dug my feet into the three-inch sliver scarpin shoe before I put on the silver gloves and pull them up to my wrist.

I feel nervousness deep in my stomach that I can't help. I'll be meeting the governor and his family soon, so it best to bring up my "A" game and once I finish I begin to parade around the room using the rest thirty minutes I have to rehearse over what to say and how to react in the way and manner that Anna would.

This may not be her plan but I don't think she would forgive me if today goes anything but perfect.

Thirty minutes later, a car sounding like my Lexus horns from downstairs and I have to get myself together and knowing that my thirty minutes rehearsal were through.

I carefully make my way downstairs as graceful as I can be and make my way out of the penthouse where the car is parked waiting for me and Hassan the driver, standing beside the opened door, just waiting for me to get in.

"Good evening, Hassan," I greeted casually.

"Good evening, Ms Wilson, I heard you're going over to the governor's home at ZONE 4?"

I nod then realise that he may not know the place, "Yes, do you know the address?"

He nods with a small smile, "Yes, I got the address from Gabriel when he brought you home earlier."

Oh cool, I thought, because I didn't even think of how I'd get there all the while I was dressing up and preparing myself.

"Here." I hand him my documents in a sealed red file which he would take back to the mansion for me. He takes them already knowing what to do.

We wallow into silence and these are the times when I'd like to plug in my earphone and listen to Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" over and over until my battery runs low, but I know that's probably not what Anna would do. She would seat quietly and just stare through the window with a bored look on her face.

It was a boring way to live but it was who she trained herself into.

She may have been annoying and evil and egotistical but there has to be a reason why Eli fell, something really good, something more to her than looks because Eli doesn't seem to be the superficial type and also he was completely blind when he first met her, so he couldn't have known she was a gorgeous lady.

Flashback; second day of the training.

"We met at the fundraiser exactly one and a half year ago at the fundraiser party at the British Council. I was there to meet some prospective clients to introduce A&W to because by then it was just coming up and according to Eli, he was there to donate because the fundraising was meant to build a school and a hospital in Northern Nigeria and it immediately caught his interest. He sat at the bar during the meet and greet and wouldn't go on to meet the rest, and I didn't know he was blind and so I made my way to him so I could sit beside him and order a glass of Martini. We said our hellos and I began to speak to him, he wasn't really interested in talking, just quietly listening. I told him I had a fashion line I wanted to launch and after over half an hour of telling him about A&W, he said I was at the wrong party and speaking to the wrong person. He proceeded to introduce himself to me as Eli Wilson and I knew him, he had had a terrible accident a year ago and lost his sight as a result of it and then told me I was the first person to talk to him since he came in for the fundraiser."