41: The Truth

"The fear of missing out was a powerful deterrent."
~John Carreyrou

Quynn's POV

I didn't think I was going to find them, Anna biological parents without having to search the whole town. Eli suggestion to meet Anna's parents was the worse idea ever and yes it would have been a reasonable suggestion if he was giving it to Anna but he wasn't and I was trapped with saying no and making him more suspicious of me and saying yes and throwing myself under the bus.

Since the night he brought me home he has been very careful and suspicious and I can't blame him, it's was all Anna's fault and every day I can't help cursing her for ruining my life. This week is a week I didn't plan for and I feel like I'm leaving on borrowed time and I can't even pray that this end with me being free, that was last week prayer and God answered that and isn't going to answer this week.

Meeting Anna's parents wasn't something I wanted, and when it came, there was nothing I could do about it. When I asked Anna about her parents she told me they hadn't been a part of her life but that is all about to change now.

Maybe this is where the truth is revealed this is where the charade ends because who better know Anna than her parents?

We approach the veranda of the building and as fate may have it, the door opens and a woman in her mid-sixties walked out, wearing a long, black skirt and a peach blouse. She has a lot of grey hair on her head and a pair of glasses on the bridge of her nose. Her eyes are amber in colour and there are a few wrinkles under them.

This is Maria Wilson, Anna's mother. Because she may look old and grey but she still has Anna's eyes and cheekbone. The resemblance was clear.

My heart is hammering against my chest in full force with every step I take closer, but I can't let that show because Eli is so close and will notice that.

She sees us and must have recognised me because she freezes on the spot and when she finally regains herself, there is disbelief in her eyes.

"Anna," she calls out, before raising her voice, "Darling, come and see who came back," she calls out to Agada who is inside the house and not longer than a few seconds the man comes out through the door, wearing a black trouser and a faded brown shirt. He seems perplexed as he stares at his wife, wondering what is wrong and the woman who is still filled with awe, points to me and his eyes also come to me and they are instantly filled with disbelief and joy.

Agada looks to be in his early seventies with grey hair on his head just like Maria had. His eyes are dark brown unlike Maria's and his skin dark Olive skin. Some of Anna's features are also on him and it wouldn't take a genius to know that she's their daughter.

"Anna," He calls and my heart breaks at these two people who had lost their daughter for years and still longed for her and I wondered why Anna decided to leave in the first place.

I want to turn back and run away because this is just too much to pull off, I was lying and every day it gets worse. Eli squeezes my hand in reassurance and I can't even look at his face at this moment. A tear ran down my face and I try to wipe it but more fell as a result.

The two couples ran towards us and they throw their arms around me and hug me.

They immediately invite us into their humble home even though I have barely spoken a word to them and once we are seated, Maria goes away to the side of the room that I think is the kitchen and Agada follows her.

I turn to Eli who has been closely watching me and he gives me an understanding look.

I don't know how to react to that because Anna never told me why she left her parents or why she left Eli, she does what she does and her loved ones suffer the consequences. So, I flash him a forced smile even as we remain silent.

They return with a tray of orange juice and two glass cup and they set them on the medium stool before us.

"We weren't expecting any visitors," Maria confesses as she goes to the couch beside us and takes her seat and Agada does the same. "I am sorry, we would have tried to inform you two, but this came suddenly." I lace my glove covered hand with Eli before saying, "Mother, father this is Eli, my fiancé and we are getting married this weekend."

Their eyes are wide with disbelief as they stare at both of us and soon they move to congratulate us both and pointed out how happy they were for us and while the tears they shed for my return was that of joy, mine wasn't.

The next couple of hours we spent talking and trying to catch up on the years we've missed and Eli seem to be more than happy to talk and discuss with Maria and Agada about his family, work and even political beliefs.

We learnt that this is where Anna grew up but since her absence, they've acquired a few other lands and properties and even offered to show us to the place later in the day. I opposed the offer immediately even though Eli looked excited and interested in the whole idea and even told the story about his grandmother farm when he was a young boy.

I was invited to join Maria and Agada in the kitchen which I wanted to decline but Eli's cheering made me reluctantly give in.

I follow them and I see them making honey beans porridge and asked what it was I wanted needed to assist them with. Maria gave me the seasoning cube and the spices before focusing on the food and Agada on the vegetable he's chopping.

Seeing an opportunity present itself, to properly offer an apology, which I haven't been able to for more than three hours now. "I am very sorry for leaving and keeping away for so long."

Maria shakes her head, reaches out and takes my hand, her eyes flicker in pain probably from the bad memories, "It's all in the past and we are just glad you're back now." she said before returning her focus to what she has on the fire.

Once ready, the food is served and we all seat down to eat.

"Anna, would you mind saying grace?" Agada asks, already taking Maria hands into his and bowing his head.

I turn to Eli with confused eyes, do I say grace? Of course, I do, but I always say it softly and quietly. Have I said grace on the dining table before? No, and also to myself and in my mind, Eli and his grandma have done it a couple of times, they never asked me to.

"I don't think I should, I haven't prayed in a while," I reply with an uncertain voice.

Agada raises his head and opens his eyes, then he nods with a small smile, "It's fine, can you say grace?" he asks glancing at Eli.

Eli bows his head and says grace and they moves to eat dinner while I do it awkwardly and silently.

After dinner, Maria gathers the plates together and leaves for the kitchen and Agada followed her to assist. I sit quietly, not wanting Eli to bring up the awkward event at the table up.

The old couple soon return and settled down, locking hands with each other, "Anna, we have something to tell you, and we back it's better if we are alone to do it." Maria speaks up.

Eli is about to get up and excuse us at her words, but I place my hand on his lap, stilling him on the couch, "No, Eli and I will be getting married soon and we should hear whatever you want to say together.

Agada and Maria lock gazes for a second before nodding in understanding. "Okay, as you wish. Anna, you're our daughter and we love you always and forever and for the longest time you were with us, we did our best to give you everything you ever wanted, but we didn't tell you the whole truth about yourself. We were scared that we would lose you completely if we did and we wanted you to turn at least eighteen before telling you. But sadly enough you left before you turned eighteen and we never got the chance to."

"Tell me what?" I demand with a raised brow, I don't seem to like the environment this discussion has gone into or the tone.

Agada began to speak, with a sad and guilty tone of voice, "You were not the only one birthed on your delivery day, Anna, you had a twin sister."