10: Quynn Trouble

"Always sleep with one eye open. Never take anything for granted. Your best friends might just be your enemies."
~Sara Shepard

Two days later...

Since the first night of my return, I haven't seen any trace of Eli and I should be happy right? But I'm not instead I am terrified!

Anna told me how Eli work was 24/7 and sometimes slept at the office which I understood before everything started, but a part of me wonders if he's away because he sensed something was different with me- the Anna he met that night. I can't shake off the thought and it has been giving me a hard time and barely making me think straight and my panic is almost every hour. I remember him pausing after kissing my head that night and I don't know if it's because of the twenty difference in our scent or if it was of something else, something that yelled "I am not your fianceé" over the roof.

Do you think if he knows you're a fraud he'd be the one to leave the house? I think it would be the other way around.

Anna is supposed to call today and since the day began I have been eagerly awaiting her call... if she calls. Tomorrow I will be going to work as well as returning to Anna's residence until Friday and I should be preparing myself for that instead of worry. Right?

I bite down on my fork and through my almost blacked out vision I notice Nneka giving me a worried look, my vision clears as I return from imagination land and I raise my brow silently asking, "What?"

"You're biting your fork," she points out with concern.

I remove the utensil from between my teeth and set it down on the table beside my untouched meal. Don't be yourself, Quynn. "I'm just thinking,"

"About Mr Wilson?"

My eyes narrow, wondering how she knows, "Well, you two had a heated argument so it's only fair to worry."

I can't tell her that, he's already apologized or that I'm worried about the truth so I choose to say instead, "I don't want to be thinking though, just can't stop."

"The both of you are changing and I guess it's for the better."

"Changing?" I echo more confused than ever.

"Well you've changed a little since the fight," she pointed out and my heart skips and it takes all the strength in the world to not show it on my face.

"What do you mean?" I ask, keeping my voice steady.

She mildly shrugs, "Well for starters, Eli used to be a workaholic and you didn't use to talk to me unless you need something, but here we are."

Interacting with the Nneka was one of the things I wasn't allowed to do but not everything is going as we planned, and talking to Nneka a little helps me understand a lot of things I wouldn't have on my own, things that weren't stated in any of the files. Like how Eli was a sleepwalker and though blind could make his way downstairs easily when unconscious than when fully awake and a few other things. I didn't involve myself with Nneka nor did I attempt to, but she somehow felt comfortable enough to be around me.

She takes her leave and after the little pep talk I had with her, I feel a bit better and move to eat the boiled potato I was served more than thirty minutes ago.

After eating, I spent the next hour going through fashion weekly magazine and taking note of the fashions trends and mishaps in the previous week. It is refreshing to see drama in the fashion world and I comfort myself because Anna has saved me from all that by creating a calendar for me to follow. She's smart and calculating and I would give her that.