22: judged too quickly

"Family love is messy, clinging and of an annoying and repetitive pattern, like bad wallpaper."
P. J. O’Rourke

It is no longer news that nothing has gone how I planned, but that's the thing with life, it is filled with unforeseen circumstances. Spraining my ankle was one of them, seeing the doctor on Eli's order was the second, being told I had to wear flat shoes for at least three days (which for me was a prayer being answered) was one of them.

I did see grandma Elizabeth and ended up spending much time together, which wasn't stated in the rule, in fact, her name appeared in only rule #12 which said: Avoid any conflict with Elizabeth Wilson.

The other documents stated how Elizabeth, just like Jumia, was never a fan of Anna and they all only got along because of Eli. Though old, she seems to not be on Anna's favourite list either, but right now, I'm on my way over to her residence.

The old woman called home earlier wanting to get in touch with her grandson, Eli, who had promised to help her out with gardening today, but the change in his schedule as well suddenness of the trip.

Nneka told me she wanted to talk to Eli when she called and I had to tell her that her grandson was no longer in the country. The blunt old woman took offence at that and bluntly told me to stop trying to take her grandson away from his family. Her statement was quite accusing, but I ignored it and moved on to ask why she called instead and she told me she wanted Eli to come over and help her with her gardening which they talked about a few days ago. I told her again that Eli had gone out of the country on a sudden business trip and I asked if she would mind me coming to help instead. She remained silent and I didn't know if she was considering her option which I was sure weren't many and then she said I could and gave me the time I needed to be there. I quickly got dressed up and thirty minutes later, I was being driven over to her place.

This wasn't part of the rule or agreement, but this ought to have been. Eli is a great man and for him to have turned out the way he did shows that his family isn't as bad. If only Anna put in a little bit of effort she could end up gaining acceptance from his family side. If she wants to be loved, she must put in the effort, except of course she doesn't. Eli's love is all she wants.

Saturday's are my free days so I know I am not sacrificing anything on my calendar to be here and it's only gardening.

Hassan stops us at the iron bar gates and horn for the gate to be opened, once it opens, he drove us in and park very close to the garden where I see Elizabeth already out with a big round farmer's hat on her head and she lifts her head as I step out of the car.

"Mrs Wilson, good evening," I greet giving her a small smile but she doesn't reply or return the smile, she just nods.

"Come down here already, we don't have all day." She orders and without saying anything further, I approach her. She handed me a pair of thick, red plastic gloves which I wear over my hands and it covers the white gloves I already have on. She also gave me a hand trowel and figuring out that I didn't know what to do with it she told me to follow her lead.

"That was fun," I stated with a bit of amusement in my voice. I never knew gardening would be that fun.

Elizabeth nod in agreement, she had become friendlier than she was when I first got here a few hours ago. "Schools don't teach kids that gardening is fun though, but it is. When I was your age, I was always on the farm picking out cotton for my father, that's where I met Eli's grandfather. He was the son of the farmer on the land next to my father and they kept fighting each other on who was trespassing on whose land. They dragged themselves to court and we met there and instead of going head to heads with each other, we ended up falling in love. I was a few years older than him and I was said to have cast a spell on him even my family said something was wrong with us. Vince never listened to any of that and he proceeded to propose to me instead. We moved and came to settle here over sixty years ago and here we started our family."

By the time she was done talking, we were already in her house and she was making orange juice. "It's a wonderful story, Mrs Wilson," I admit collecting the orange juice she's offering from her.

"I told you to let you know that I get how you feel."

Her words take me by surprise, "I don't understand, Mrs Wilson."

"Well you and Eli, I mean. I never liked you, you had a terrible attitude the first day we met at dinner, plus Jumia has told me a lot of things about you as well and I was not happy that my boy, Eli, was with you. I am quite protective of him, we both are and that's because we know he's been through a lot and also he's all that we have"

"I'm not trying to cause him any pain, Mrs Wilson." I genuinely confessed, even though I am contributing to his pain by being a part of this deception.

She smiles and places her hand on mine "I know, I see that now and that's why I have to say I'm sorry, I judged too quickly without properly knowing you and I see that you care about my grandson a lot. I see you're genuine and true to my grandson and I didn't see that all this while because I was angry that you were going to take him away from us. I wasn't being better than my accusers many years ago and I promise I am going to change."

"I don't know what to say."

She squeezes my hand and her eyes wrinkle up as she smiles, "Say you will take care of my baby boy and I will give you my blessing when the time comes."

My heart skips, this was so difficult. I only came to help her with her gardening, not to receive her blessing. I don't even think I deserve it at this point, but I can't tell her that, she was only beginning to like Anna and I don't want to give her a reason to stop. "Thank you, Mrs Wilson, that's means a lot and I promise to do my best in taking care of him."

"Good, you can call me grandma."

Catherine seemed to have loved our time together earlier because she invited me to church with her. I wanted to say no thank you, but someone else apart from Eli was starting to like Anna and I couldn't say no to that, so I accepted. Service is to start at 9 a.m, so I had to be ready and at her place before 9 a.m.
...

After writing the happening of the day in the journal, I begin to read the Faithful Partner in bed, preparing my self for an early rest when my phone begins to ring it is an unsaved number calling and I start to wonder if Anna had lost her number and now using a new one to get to me.

Anything is possible with that woman.

I flip the phone opens and place it to my ear, "Hello, Anna."

"Anna?" The voice of Eli comes through the other end with a confused tone and my heart skip a beat as I realise what I may have just gotten myself into.