chapter twenty seven

She dabbed her eyes dry with the palms of her hand for probably the fourth time that day, and it was only noon.

The single dark purple rose on her most used bedside table turned into two. The two flowers were both placed in the same kind of vase right next to each other. When Asami readied the second one, she wondered whether or not she should throw out the two fallen petals. They were both old, insanely wrinkled, dry, etc. They also lost their purple color. They were now more of a black tone with some brown. 

For some reason, Asami decided to keep them exactly where they were. 

The old rose looked inferior to the newer one, like it was being mocked. She kept it as that, though. She still had a soft spot for the old one, that she was certain of. But the new one gave off a completely different energy. It was almost like it represented something new itself.

Another tear escaped past her rapidly batting eyelids. It rolled down her cheek quickly then hit the surface of her vanity. It combined with a messy splotch of blush immediately, seeping into it to make a dark color.

Honestly, she didn't even know why she had been crying. She was just an emotional wreck. She wanted to believe that it was just stress from work, but work was the farthest thing from her mind that day.

It was Saturday. 

The butterflies ( as she liked to think they were ) had refused to leave her stomach since she read the card. The card. That was also kept right on her most used bedside table. She found herself reading it at least ten times a day. It would definitely be much more if she didn't stop herself so often.

Asami lifted her head from the palm of one of her hands. She looked at her reflection in the oval mirror.

This is pathetic.

Her hair hung in a low bun that she tried her best to make neat earlier, but over the few hours that she's been awake that day, and the crying, it had fallen. She wasn't wearing any makeup thankfully, so her face was mostly clean. However, you could still see the faint stream marks of dried tears down her face. She touched one of her cheeks lightly. It was dry, and a bit rough even. Her hands longed for the feeling of actual smooth skin suddenly. 

Korra came to her mind.

Smooth skin, high cheekbones, perfect eyebrows, big, beautiful blue eyes, long legs, powerful thighs, soft hands ... abs ... back muscles ... biceps ...

A shower would do her just fine for now.

With that thought, she quickly stood from her vanity as she tried to ignore the pounding noise inside of her head and the pounding feeling in her lower stomach. Asami made her way into her bathroom and closed the door behind her.  She off her clothes in a hurry to get some refreshment, then twisted the lever in the shower until the water temperature was just right.

For longer than originally planned, she let her skin burn under the hot water, right up until that wasn't enough to snap her mind away from Her. She changed the temperature again, then cold water began to sprinkle down her body. She shivered at first, but sunk into the displeasuring pleasure quickly. 

Her fingers ran through her hair in attempt to relieve at least some stress. It hardly worked, but the massage did feel nice. It soothed her for the time being, that's for sure.

The shower had ended nearly an entire hour and en extra twenty minutes later. Asami hadn't even realized how long she'd been in there until she picked up her phone that was left at her vanity. The dark red robe was wrapped around her damp body nicely.

She scrolled around her phone as if she was looking for something. Maybe a missed phone call or a text message, possibly even an email, but nothing. Of course there was nothing. Nothing over than notifications that concerned Future Industries, but like said before, work was the farthest thing from her mind then.