o4. speed dialing death..

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts and I looked, and behold a pale horse. And his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

Rita sang the citation the song ended with and in a relieved, joyous sigh, she hopped off the stage as the crowd cheered for the end. Karaoke night was her favorite and maybe so were the simpler times now: the earliest 2000s.

The bar was not empty or dead, it was instead alive, filled with people chatting and dancing and everything finally felt perfect. She walked towards that bar and raised her hand for a drink. Her hands returned to straighten the creases on her dress, just as a man, sitting there, turned to face her.

"That was quite a performance there," he noted. "What made you chose that particular song?"

Rita beamed with happiness to discuss that, even if just with a total strangers. All friends must be strangers first before becoming close to you, and either way, it wasn't like she knew anyone there.

"Johnny Cash's a legend," she answered with a light, proud smile.

"But the lyrics, those last ones," the man insisted. He had pale blue eyes, a dirty blonde hair and such a devilish grin. "Those are from the Bible, right?"

"Revelations 6:1-17," Rita said, starting searching her pockets for her pack of cigarettes. Once she found it and took it out, she took a seat at the bar, besides this man, now looking at her, impressed.

The stall was tall and she was short enough for sitting there to become quite a pain. Rita just happened to be a little bit of a masochist.

"So you really read it then?"

"Of course I did. One's gotta know something before they decide not to believe in it," she answered. Her attention was not even on the man anymore, busying herself with retrieving a cigarette from the pack, however, once the silence persisted, she looked up at him. "I'm an atheist."

The way she felt the need to explain that left him so obviously shocked for a moment. But a deep chuckle soon replace that momentum of startle, like the deer caught in the headlights of surprise. He looked away, with that chuckle fading, "Oh, you haven't changed a bit..."

Those words unsettled her, for some reason and Rita put the cigarette back in her pack, changing her mind about clouding her judgement so early in the night, in such circumstances. "Do I know you?" she mumbled, looking after that bartender ought to get her drink.

"You can call me Lucy," he suddenly extended his hand right in front of her. It was close and insistent enough that in order to answer, Rita first had to lean back a little. She answered politely, but her smile was so forced and her touch so hesitant as she shook his hand.

"Rita."

As soon as her hand was in his, his grip tightened, refusing to let go. But regardless of this very dominant gesture, Lucy smiled innocently. His free arm rested its elbow on the bar surfacr, while his hand held the side of his face.

"Did you really want to be a human this bad?"

"What?" Rita blinked, pulling her hand back, trying so hard to pry it away, but with no success whatsoever. The music ceased.

All of a sudden, Rita became truthfully aware of the silence and just how much the colors have faded to a yellow hue. Unnatural.

Lucy kept his grip strong, "I knew Gods were cowards, but I haven't seen one as scared as-"

"Hey," someone cut in and a hand glasped Lucy's shoulder, holding him back enough to let go of Rita. A man wearing a brown leather jacket, with the greenest eyes Rita has ever seen, frowned down at Lucy now. "I think you had one too many drinks, pal. Leave the girl be."