Prologue

• Dedicated to Mom

Prologue

I breathed in deep, last night it drizzled, and I could still smell it in the air. I had a feeling today was going to be a clear day. Why? The sky was almost clear of all cloud, the sun was slowly rising, the birds were chirping.

That's American weather for you, but then again the weather over here is more unpredictable then the bloody lottery; one hour it would be raining, and the next it would be as it is now, with the sun rays streaming through the clouds, looking like light sabers. 

Suddenly, something whizzed past me. I would have just past it off as a figment of my imagination, if it hadn't happened again and again, and again. I blinked rapidly, trying to focus on the blurs, but by the time that my eyes adjusted to their speed, they were gone, and the rest of the world was blurred. I cringed, as my eyes hurt to regain their original focus.

My neurons must have been slow that day, because it suddenly dawned on me; literally as if someone just turned on a light bulb on top of my head that it was a bunch of bikers- I know that I couldn’t see them, but I could definitely hear them, they weren’t the classical type- Harleys, and Enfields- no… these bikes were superbikes; the type that could overpower a Harley any day.

I’m obsessed with superbikes. I guess it comes with having an older brother who’s obsessed with them too. Ever since I was a little girl cars and bikes seemed to revolve around me. My Dad and brother used to take me to races, and have me around whenever they used to fix our cars.

My phone started ringing "I'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world." What the fuck?! That is not my ringtone. I scowled, there’s only one person who has the audacity to do this! I'm going to kill Dino...! 

Dino is my annoying kid brother. He’s ten years old but has the mental capacity of a five year old. Don’t get me wrong I love that little bugger to death… But things like this- seriously; Barbie girl for Christ’s sake who wouldn’t want to give him a good kick in the bum! I pursed my lips, and then sighed; I’ll get him back for this I thought. What if someone I knew heard it had heard it?

"Cara where on Earth is you?! You're usually back by six. Are you in trouble? Have you been kidnapped? Have you sprained your ankle?" my mom asked me frantically, talking at literally hundred miles per hour- okay, maybe that’s an overstatement, but she was on the brink of it.

"Mom I-"

"Did you slip on a puddle? You should have called honey, instead of hobbling home."

"MOM!! Jeez, I'm fine mom, keep your hairnet on, I’m literally outside the gates… and FYI if I had been kidnapped, it’s highly unlikely that the kidnapper would let me keep the phone. Anyway… I'll be at the front door in two minutes, alright?" and I hung up without waiting for an answer. 

My mom, she’s extremely… neurotic. She’s the kind of mother that everyone adores though. She’s pretty lenient with me; I’ve never gotten grounded ever… Then again, I’ve never done anything to give her a chance to ground me for anyway. My friends totally love her. They practically live here during the weekend. Mom reciprocates the feeling, she’s always wanted a big family but she never got the chance; as if three kids aren’t enough already!

My other brother Benji, is in university, and is someone that both Dino and I look up to. He's been caught up with the college lifestyle to ever take notice of us though. The last I heard from him was a month ago. He rarely comes home for holidays either. He has a girlfriend, and tends to spend all his time with his like some love sick puppy. He has never let us met her, and they’ve been dating for almost two years now. He thinks that we might scare her away, being the way we are.