[Five]

.:Chapter Five - Summer:.

Milena's POV

The game had ended 3-1 with Oscar scoring a third goal during the first minute of extra time at the end. The Brazilian side's roar when the final whistle blew overpowered Croatia's cries of displeasure, but the players on the pitch shook hands and swapped jerseys. I guess they have to be professional, even at times like this.

Claudia and I were buzzing with satisfaction and waited until everyone had left, even waving goodbye to the crazed man from before. Once the last person had trotted out of the seating area, we heaved a sigh of relief. It could get really claustrophobic with everyone always surrounding you for two hours straight.

"So." Claudia began, and hearing the teasing tone of her voice, I knew this wasn't going to be good. "I noticed a certain footballer, whose name rhymes with Meymar, staring at you after he scored his second goal. Care to explain?" I knew it. She had seen the little thing that had happened between us.

"Explain what? He was generally looking in our direction." my voice faltered at the end, and Claudia knew I was lying.

Thankfully she didn't grill me further and we just sat there, basking in the silence of the stadium, an opportunity I'm sure will never return.

Opening the World Cup sure did have its perks, as Claudia, Armando and I had been invited to the after party, and to make it a hundred times better, the entire Brazil squad would be coming. I was mega excited due to the prospect of seeing Neymar again. I don't know what it was, but whenever I saw him, or someone even mentioned him, I unknowingly smiled, and felt hoards of butterflies fluttering around in my stomach trying to escape. It may be cliche, agreed, but it's true. There's something about him that just compels me. Was it his carefree attitude to life? The way he joked around most of the time? His concentration during a game? Or was it the smaller things? Like the way the skin around his eyes crinkled when he laughed or smiled; the flecks of gold that danced in his eyes when he was happy; or the small pout that graced his features when he was upset? I don't know how I came to feel this way - I'd only just met the guy. Well, I hadn't even met him properly, he had ran away before I got the chance to put a word in edgewise. What I did know, though, was that I couldn't afford to feel like this. I couldn't. I gave up on love ages ago, after what happened with Lucas. I'm incapable of loving someone as much as I loved him.

Half an hour later, we decided it was about time we were off to our my apartment. Claudia and I were going to get ready for the party together - painting our nails, picking our clothes, doing our hair - the works.

The drive to my apartment was, well, eventful. "WHEN I MET YOU IN THE SUMMER! TO MY HEARTBEAT'S SOUND! WE FELL IN LOVE! AS THE LEAVES TURNED BROWN!" We sang along at the top of our voices to Summer by Calvin Harris, not caring if anyone heard us. In fact, I think all of Brazil heard us as the windows were down and the volume was on the highest setting. We sped down the highway, leaving dazed Brazilians in our wake. Claudia drove as I played the air drums, occasionally switching to the air guitar. By the time we pulled up to my apartment complex, our hair was in knots and we'd have a bit more than a little trouble trying to sort it out.

"Ai papi. Let's not turn the music up quite so loud next time, okay?" Claudia groaned as she rubbed her ears.

"Agreed." I, um, agreed.

We stumbled and grumbled our way up the stairs because apparently taking the elevator was for chumps, according to Claudia, but we gave up by the third floor because it was just too much effort and my apartment was on the top floor.

"See Claudia? Taking the elevator is much more efficient." I beamed at her brightly.

Suddenly, I felt a tingling feeling in my bladder and was rendered incapable of standing properly as it intensified. Finally, the elevator doors opened and I burst through them, sprinting to my door and fumbling for the keys. When my hands finally grasped around the familiar jagged edge, I jammed it into the lock and ran to the bathroom.