Chapter 40

I was in a field, one filled with destruction. I looked around and I saw nothing but death.

No living thing in sight. Not a plant or an animal.

I focused my eyes toward a body laying on the ground, lifeless. I ran towards it.

As I got closer I recognized the ashy blonde hair now filled with specks of blood.

I felt my stomach churn and my heart break as I reached the body.

Dream was there,dead. My knees dropped as I held him crying my eyes out. The person that I loved was dead and I could do nothing to save him.

I screamed.

I shot up from the bed. My breathing nowhere near being steady.

I heard as Dream began to rustle awake.

Just seeing him move was enough to make me sign in relief. He was alive, it was just a nightmare.

"What's wrong?" he asked me groggily.

I just moved closer to him, letting him wrap his arm around me. "Don't die."

He laughed, "I will do my best."

I turned my head to face him. "Please stay with me. I don't know what I would do if y-you died."

"(Y/n), I have to go but I promise I will make it up to you and I will take you on a real date when I get back."

He reached his pinky finger to me and I locked mine with his. We both kissed the side of our hands as it sealed his promise to me.

I fell asleep in his arms, safe.

* * *

I didn't wake up until I heard the movements of Dream.

I rubbed my eyes trying to adjust to the sunlight that was seeping through the curtains. Then looked at the man making all the noise.

He was wearing netherite armour with his mask back on. Just like how I met him.

I got up and walked over to the closet. I slowly took off his t-shirt that I was wearing to bed. I knew he was watching me, admiring me once again.

I put on a boring, plain outfit. Nothing fancy at all.

I saw him reach out his hand for me to grab.

I did accordingly.

"You ready M'lady," he said in a half serious tone.

I shook my head. "I am never ready to say goodbye."

He spins me around and uses his hand to move my chin to face him. "You will never have to say goodbye to me. I will always come back."

I took down his mask and kissed him softly as it was all I could put into it.

He leaned down to kiss my cheek, put on the mask and then we proceeded down the stairs. Hand in hand.

It wasn't until we reached all the men in armour did I realize that what was happening is real. I walked over to Sapnap.

"Good luck," I told him as it was all I could think of saying.

He smiled brightly at me. "Wipe the worry off your face. This isn't me or your boyfriend's first war."

Sapnap winked at me.

He always had a way of lighting up the mood, and I didn't realize how much I needed that until he did.