Chapter 1

It was hard to keep your entire body from shaking as you stood up out of bed

It was hard to keep your entire body from shaking as you stood up out of bed. It was your first morning in a brand new room in a country you had never been in before. You couldn't help but feel extremely alone.

This was going to be good for you— you knew it would be— but it was hard to keep the raging thoughts out of your head. When you applied to be a cultural exchange student, you did not exactly expect it to go as far as you standing in a small apartment that was provided to you through a fund.

With your senior year of highschool quickly becoming such a bust, you wanted to take a chance with something that had always piqued your interest in life: traveling. Through many hours of applications, you somehow had made it to the point you were at now.

You were grateful to be standing in this little apartment in Miyagi, Japan. It was a cultural exchange, so the entire purpose was to immerse you as quickly into kids your own age as possible. The woman from the company you went through had managed to find a volleyball team that she described as "extremely kind and welcoming" that you could help out.

Volleyball was something you were familiar with despite the fact that you had never personally played. Your sister was a well known libero for her college back home and you often went to the games, so while your things lied more in the arts, it didn't feel like a bad fit. Honestly, almost any opportunity to come here you would have jumped on instantly.

After regaining some balance in your wobbly legs, you trudged to your closet and got yourself ready for the day. With some basic athletic wear on, you hoped that you wouldn't stand out too much.

You already knew you would, after all you were going to be the one foreign girl here. It was the opportunity of a lifetime, and yet you couldn't help yourself from feeling like you were going to vomit. No matter how nice it had the possibility to be, stopping your anxiety was no easy feat.

A quick breakfast in your little kitchen later, a knock at your door cut the deafening silence. You had meant to put on some music, but your thoughts and fears of the day ahead of you were already loud enough so you had forgotten.

You stood up and looked through the little peephole in the door to see one of the prettiest girls you may have ever seen in your life. She must be the one that was going to come and bring you to the school where you would begin your true immersion. You opened the door and she smiled at you instantly. "Hello, are you (l/n) (y/n)?" she asked.

Nodding, you replied. "Yes, and uh- (y/n) is just fine." It would take a while to get used to the cultural differences, but it would be hard to suddenly be called another name, so you decided it was best to just introduce yourself as your first name. Last name first just felt like you were getting called out on a roster for attendance at school.

She smiled bigger, "It's wonderful to meet you, (y/n). I'm Kiyoko." She stopped and went into a slight bow, which caught you a bit off guard. "Are you ready to go?"