40. she challenged

40. she challenged

Overwhelmed.

Rae, for the first time in years, was getting overwhelmed by the proximity with guy she hated a month back.

Not just overwhelming, there was a sense of comfort arising in that split second of closeness and Rae was filled with an dangerous feeling.

Curiosity.

She felt the urge to know what would happen if they'd be no spaces between them. Like they'd be nothing stopping them from enveloping this newly arousing, strongly building aura.

As captivating it was to know more, she knew was treading on a dicey path. She couldn't dwell on such things again, having been broken already and tired of being on the hurting end.

This was getting way out of hand, her mind was losing control, her eyes closed as she found herself lost in James's sweet scent, his soft words, his comforting touch.

Get. The. Fuck. Out. Of. Here.

Her brain was pushing all kind of warnings to her body, trying to take charge as she opened her eyes and focused on what James was saying. He wasn't completely on her, yet close enough to cause a lasting effect. She then looked at the pool table, and then turned her face sideways towards James's and he froze.

While they stood close, Rae looked up, meeting his eyes and he looked down at hers. His dark eyes boring right into her brown ones, and then they were drawn towards her lips. Rae gulped, unable to shake the feeling as he met her eyes again, she was trying to understand the what and the why.

However, James's reflexes worked faster than hers and he stepped back almost immediately while Rae found herself holding her breath. She sighed, as James walked away from her across the table, unable to talk as she gulped, clearing her throat.

'I think that's enough for one day.' She managed to say, averting her gaze from his. 'My small brain wouldn't be able to encompass more anyway.' She chuckled, nervously, running her hand through her hair.

James absentmindedly touched his hair too, messing it, 'Um, I... you've... you've.. you're a fast learner.' He said, and Rae looked at him, 'I think we gotta go. It's too late.'

It wasn't too late. And they didn't had to go. But Rae didn't wanna dwell onto feelings as such and especially not with James, the guy who was way different from her in every way and most importantly Sykkuno's twin.

And both of them, like mature adults, never even tried discussing what happened between them.

_

'I've been meaning to ask you this question since a while now.'

James kept his eye on the road as Rae asked him a question, 'That is?'

'Pets!' She excitedly yelled, 'Do you have any pets, considering how you love animals and they tune in well with you?'

James smiled, shaking his head. 'I don't have any pets.'

'Whaaaat.' She elongated her tone, dissappointed. 'Really? I mean, why not?' She faced him, as he drove home. 'And do not tell me that they are a lot of work and you're busy.'

Her on point answer made him chuckle, heartily. 'They are a lot of work and I am busy.' He shrugged, answering her question with her answer. Rae just rolled her eyes at his answer, yet smiling.

'But more importantly, I believe that they require a lot of attention and grooming.' He said, halting at a red light, his serious voice drawing Rae's attention. 'And I am constantly so busy, with work, I hardly get time for myself. And it wouldn't be fair on my pet.'

If Rae knew James was this big of an animal lover, she'd never would have started off with a wrong foot with him. But things often unravel at their own sweet time.

'So is work that important?' She asked, her tone a bit more easy-going than judging. 'Don't you need to balance it?'

James glanced sideways, smiling softly at the curious girl. 'Um, I was so busy in making myself not feel lonely all these years, that I got my hands full all the time.' He withdrew his gaze from her, eyeing the traffic light, waiting for it to be green. 'And I never considered getting some spare time, ever.'

The atmosphere between them silenced again, Rae rested her head on the window, watching the dark streets pass by her.

'But now, I think I can make some time for a pet.' James added as they made way through the streets.

'If you do,' Rae spoke, eyeing him with a tired gaze. 'Which I think you should, which animal would you pet first?'

James raised his brow, thinking to himself. 'I like dogs, I love cats, I love birds too.' He thought aloud, 'But cannot have a zoo in the house right?'

Rae chuckled on that, waiting patiently for James to answer.

'But I for sure wanted a horse, first.'

'WHAT?' Rae sat back, surprised. 'Wait. Really?'

James nodded, 'Yea. Back in my childhood days, we had our neighbor who breeded horses in their stable. T and I would love riding a few.' He narrated the tale, the yearning of his time spent with his twin so visible to Rae. 'He'd always fall off them and I'd ride till the last.'

'Horses are difficult to raise in a city, just FYI.'

'Yeah. I know.' James shrugged, halting the car near Imane's building. 'That's why I think I'm going to settle for a parrot.'

'What? Why?' Rae laughed, unbuckling her seatbelt.

'We'll be a cool duo,' James faced her, 'Me, and my always speaking green parrot. We'd outshine you and Mika, easily.'

'Oh we'll see about that, Parrot Man.' Rae challened, narrowing her gaze at him and then laughing.

By now, James hair strands were falling messily over his face, making him look more better if he wasn't before. James helped her with the bags and they bade each other a goodbye, knowing they'd meet the next day for Imane's birthday.

The moment Rae opened the door to Imane's house, the bags from her hands fell as a barking and woofing Mika jumped in her arms. Rae immediately knelt down, rubbing Mika's furry coat, hugging him as he licked her face.

'Oh, puppy. Oh Mika. I missed you. You missed me?' He looked at her and barked in agreement, sniffing her and trying to sit in her arms.

'If you're here, Janet is here too right?' She picked the heavy Mika in her arms, walking to Janet who sat in Imane's room, both of them looking pointedly at Rae.

Mika heard Mimi's meowing and immediately left Rae's arms to greet his fellow cat, while Rae hugged Janet and then Imane.

'Okay why you guys giving the Sherlock Holmes look?' She asked, suspiciously. 'What are you two upto?'

Janet and Imane shared another look and both then looked at Rae.

'You tell us Rae.' Janet asked, folding her arms across her chest.

Imane did the same. 'What are you two up to?'

_

Vote. Comment. Share.

Video: Rae's meta kill on Poki.