Chapter 18

"BIRD!" You shouted and started running away.

Karma simply caught you by your uniform, "You can't possibly come up with a worse excuse, can you?" He stared at you curiously. But what he didn't know, is that you expected it. You quickly undid the last button of your coat and dashed for your (well- not exactly) life. He was catching up, but to your advantage, he didn't know anything about the mountain. You skidded to a stop and jumped to your right. It was a hill you'd always trip on when you lost your way. And somehow always ended in this spot.

You dashed as you jumped in the pond next to you. It had water that went up to your neck, so you didn't have to worry about drowning. But then, you held your breath and touched the bottom of it to find something. Clunk! You lifted a heavy wooden door, it gaps sealed by melted iron and steel, and jumped down. There it was, the passageway. Some water entered its floor, but it wasn't much.

The musky tunnel lead straight to the huge lake you had an encounter with... Shiro. But how did you drown there, again?

Never-mind that, even if Karma saw you jumping into the pond, he wouldn't notice the door, unless he opened his eyes in the water and searched every corner, that is. Keke, you took your time to relax and walk to the end of the tunnel as the crisis had averted. Finally reaching the end, you climbed up and started running.

You shrieked as you tripped over something, with something else holding you down. Karma?! "Caught you~" W-what? How did he? "I guess you forgot this back near a hidden jar in the mud." You stared at him, how did he get access to that map? You were sure to have hidden it properly unless...he fell on it? That happened twice to you.

You stared at the male sitting on your waist, holding your two hands above your head firmly with a small map containing the ten shortcuts of the forest in his other hand. Suddenly aware of the position, heat rushed to your cheeks as you cried, "W-wait! Karma-kun! I'll tell you what you want, j-just let me go." He smirked as his face came closer to yours, "What if I don't want to?"

Satisfied by your flustered reaction, he retreated and laughed. "What if you decide to pull up a stunt like that again?" He gave a more reasonable explanation. "I w-won't! I promise!" You protested. He sighed and got up, extending a hand for you. Just as you held it and got up, he said, "Satte (Now then), would you like to start?"

You lead the devil to your cottage and looked at the time - 1 hour 20 minutes to confrontation. After making Karma sit down, you reached the abandoned waste papers under your bed and took out a certain newspaper article. 'Teen Fugitive Suspected of Double Murder' it read. You sighed as you showed it to Karma.

"What's this?" He asked. "The article you covered me for" You replied shortly. After a long pause, you were sure Karma had read it all so you continued, "She was my friend, her sister had died and we started living together. But, one day I woke up to find her missing." Karma tilted his head. "So what about the murders?" You sighed yet again.

"At first, she came to me for comfort. Saying that a monster killed her sister, but then she was growing crazy. We often had fights about her threatening me that she'd leave the house if my opinion didn't match hers. She started hating me. The neighbors heard all, and they hated me so after her disappearance, they accused me of killing her, even if it wasn't true."

"Later, the police found a note from her saying that I had killed her sister before her eyes and that I had threatened to kill her too. It was written to made it seem like I had her hostage. So, I ran away to a different place, feeling scared and betrayed. I didn't know anyone here so I stayed where my friend's sister secretly lived, in this town. I trained everyday so if the police caught me, I'd be able to escape and got into a school."

He looked at you, no expression on his face and sympathy but respect in his eyes. "Heh, so, you really saved my ass back there. The situation was-" His arms embraced you as you sat there, shocked. What was it with these people? Suddenly coming out of nowhere and hugging you like that. "O-Oi" You stuttered out as Karma went back to his own seat.

You suddenly remembered Asano as you looked at the time- 20 minutes. 'Frick'  You hurriedly got up and explained to Karma that you had to go somewhere, as you literally shut your door in his face. Mental note: Gotta say sorry.

You ran and ran towards the old building of the school and then navigated in the direct opposite direction of the new building of Kunugigaoka Junior High School and continued running. After reaching a certain tree with a red cloth around it, you turned left and onto a road till you reached a car park.

"Hey, you're late." Asano looked at you, covered in small scratches from the twigs. He must have refrained from a snarky comment too. "How late?" You asked as he showed you the time- 3 minutes late. "Ugh, seriously?" You groaned as he just chuckled and went inside the shop you both were outside of.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" You asked, looking up to see Asano's face. "Don't you think it's weird? It is all weird." A suspicious look crossed his face. Just as you caught it, it changed back, "I mean with that teacher of yours of course. Always such a pain."

"Hah, get to the point."

A sideways glance, a warning. He was finally going to say it.

"You- need to be careful." This wasn't in the caring way of saying. "It didn't make sense at first, but why did you come back?" Why had he brought you here in the first place? You carefully started to slide away. "Ah ah, you need to sit back down." He said, catching your arm, that same terrifying look in his eyes. He knew something, something you felt kept secret for a long time.

You watched carefully, calculating as his lips formed the words, "Time is cruel, huh?" Your eyes widened. It was as if you knew what importance that phrase held, it could end your life here nd now. However, at the same time, you knew nothing at all. It didn't mean anything to you.

Chirp! Chirp!

"Ara?" Your eyes opened as you found yourself on the forest floor, just a few distance from your cottage. Something was missing, you couldn't put your finger on it? Why would you be lying there? Why just there?

"Oh, (Y/n)-chan. We meet again. Hope I can do it this time. Kill you, I mean."

The familiar voice whispered, but it felt as loud as bells tolling, warning of a sudden disaster coming to rip away everything.

Heya!

Dear Readers,

I almost forgot about this book. My phone is literally behind the wardrobe, which is nailed to the wall. SO, can't really do anything there, can I?

(It took me so much time to remember my password)

Anyway, who do you think this mysterious person is? Hint: you need to go wayyyyyy back to previous chapters. Edit: Wait, re-reading this chapter, maybe not.