👑 Hajime/Tooru 👑

A/N: I'm back from haitus, and I have a boyfriend now <3 and my mental health is better than ever.

Imagine: Happier

The One Where Hajime Iwaizumi Pines After You. Alternatively, The One Where You’re Falling For Tooru Oikawa, And Hajime Hates It. (7k)

•••

Hajime Iwaizumi waited outside of your shared classroom for you. You always waited for everyone else to leave first, taking your time to gather up your workbooks and put away your pencils, highlighters, and pens into their respectable spots. It was better than rushing out of the room and bumping into everyone on your way.

'Why rush? Rush and stress over getting somewhere when you have the time to enjoy getting there,' That was your philosophy you told Hajime when he complained about you being slow.

Hajime couldn't help but smile as he watched you slide your pen bag back into your school satchel before getting up from your seat. To everyone else you were slow, to him, you were organized. It was cute, of course, to him, everything you did was cute.

While he liked to poke fun at you for taking your time, he thought it was adorable. He could watch you at your desk for hours.

"Thanks for waiting Hajime!"

Your lips curved up into a smile, a huge beaming smile. He feels his heart stop for a moment before he fixates his eyes on something else. Anything but your smile, anything but your plush lips. Instead, he fixates his eyes on your hair, it rests so perfectly on your shoulders and suddenly he wants to run his fingers through it.

It makes him feel sick, but he can't help it. He wants to touch it, to feel it. He wants to know if it's as soft as he'd imagined it, he wants to know if it smells like the strawberry shampoo you use all the time, or if it's just that vibrant for the first hour after it's fresh and straight from the shower.

"Of course, I like waiting for you," but that feels too sweet to Hajime. It feels raw and soft, like something a boyfriend would tell his girlfriend, and to Hajime, nothing would be worse than you knowing how he really feels about you, so he quickly adds on some teasing words to his sentence, "even if you are as slow as a snail."

"You're such a great best friend, even if you are mean to me."

It's your words that make Hajime's eyes advert from your hair, back to your smile. He gives you a small one in return before adverting his gaze down to the ground. He shouldn't be thinking about you this way. He shouldn't be letting his cheeks flush with heat whenever you throw him a pretty smile, he shouldn't be thinking such domestic mundane things about your hair either.

You're just a friend. He's your best friend. You've been best friends for years, and he can't ruin that by being selfish and needy for your affection and attention—especially when he knew the feelings weren't reciprocated.

Hajime couldn't really pinpoint when exactly he began to feel this way for you, but he knew it was wrong. It was like one day he woke up and realized that he wanted more. He wanted to kiss you, to hold your hand, to boldly tell people you were his. But he couldn't, and he didn't think ever would.

Your hands are close as you walk to the cafeteria and Hajime wants nothing more than to slip his hand to yours. He wants to hold you close to him, he wants to know if your skin is as soft as he thinks it is, but he knows the thought is completely wrong. It's wrong and inappropriate so he stuffs his hands into his pockets instead, never pulling them out until you both reach an empty lunch table and sit down together.

Your tongue sticks out slightly as you start to open up your lunch box and your stomach lets out a small grumble distracting you. Your cheeks heat up, embarrassed at the noise, you apologize to Hajime.