🦅 Wakatoshi Ushijima 🦅

A/N: Spoilers.

Requested By: KlausVonReinHerz4

Drabble: "I can't lose you..."

The One Where Ushijima Has Been Spending More Time In The Gym Then Out, Leaving His Girlfriend Feeling Worried.

•••

Wakatoshi Ushijima hit another volleyball sending it over the net. Each ball he hit when further than the last. Further, higher, better. It was late, far too late for Wakatoshi to still be practicing in the gym. Volleyball practice had ended hours ago for Shiratorizawa, but Wakatoshi was still putting in his practice hours.

You pushed the doors to the gym open wide open, not even bothering to wonder whether it would be locked or not. When you had been receiving an automated voice box rather than your boyfriend's voice over the phone you knew exactly where he'd be. A simple text to Tendou saying he hadn't seen or heard from your boyfriend since practice ended had only confirmed your suspicions.

You crossed your arms so you were hugging your jacket to your body as you stepped into the gym, the only sound that could be heard was the sound of Wakatoshi's pants and the slapping of the volleyball. You wondered how long he had been out here practicing, had he even taken any breaks or took a second to drink water? He looked like pure sweat and exhaustion.

"How long have you been practicing?"

Whether you startled Wakatoshi or not you did not know, he simply spiked the last volleyball over the net, watched it go for a minute before he briefly turned his head over to you with his ever stoic expression.

"I don't know, what time is it?"

"It's ten in the evening Wakatoshi, volleyball practice ended at five."

"Well, then I've been practicing for about six and half hours."

His words come out blunt and cold, straight to the point. Why didn't you get it? They needed to practice. They needed to get better. They couldn't beat Karasuno, they couldn't beat those wingless crows. He couldn't beat them. They had lost, they had lost when they were so close to nationals and it was all his fault. As the ace and captain, he needed to get better.

"I get you wanting to practice, but five extra hours alone in the gym isn't healthy. You probably haven't even taken a healthy amount of water breaks!"

"You don't get it, I need to practice!"

Wakatoshi walks away from you and begins to gather up all the volleyballs he had thrown over the net. Huffing, you follow after him and help him gather the balls up into their bin. Even if you did deter him away from practicing, you would still have to clean this all up before you went home.

"I have to practice, [Y/N]. I'm not good enough. If my spikes were stronger, faster, better, then we could've won. I need to get better, for my team. I need to get better so we don't lose again, so if you're here to get me to leave, I can't."

You slammed the last volleyball down in the bin then proceeded to cross your arms. You knew Wakatoshi was feeling this way. Ever since he lost against Karasuno he'd been off and spending a ridiculous amount of time putting in practice. You tried talking to him, reassuring him, but opening up was so hard for your boyfriend.

"I get that Toshi' but I'm worried about you, I'm really worried about you. You spend all your time here, you don't take any breaks or drink water. You look rough, you're exhausting yourself! You have been neglecting your health, and I'm not gonna stick around to watch you do that."

"You don't mean that. I can't lose you... Don't leave me, I can't- I just want to get better, better for my team, someone you can be proud of. I'm supposed to be the best in the Miyagi prefecture, now I'm just a failure."

"Oh, Toshi!"

You dropped your crossed arms and took a step closer to your boyfriend. You enveloped him in your arms, not giving a care to the sweat dripping down his hot skin. You pulled his head down into your neck, holding him there tightly as he let out his muffled sobs. He never really cried when he lost, he never grieved the plummet. His teammates let out their tears, but Wakatoshi remained strong and quiet, allowing the tears to fester in his mind.

"I have never thought about you as a failure. You are so good baby, you are such a good ace. But pushing yourself too hard and over exhausting yourself is just going to hurt yourself rather than improve yourself. It scares me, and I know I'll always come second place to volleyball, but I can't watch you hurt yourself like that."

"Hey, you do not come in second place, you never have. My love for ball and you are equal."

"I just need you not to push yourself so hard. I'm sorry, and at the risk of sounding like a needy, clingy girlfriend, I miss you and I worry about you."

"Don't apologize when you're right. I'm sorry, I'll take more breaks, I'll take it easier and I'll watch out for my health. You know a good way to rest? Cuddling."

You pulled away from Wakatoshi, grabbed a towel off the edge of the ball bin, and threw it at Wakatoshi lightly with a smile.

"I'm not objecting to that... But showering is a good way to rest, and I highly suggest it for athletes."

•••

Edited: 2-17-2021

Tip Jar: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme2/IzzyJJ13?locale.x=en_USp

•••