19.

The kitchens.

One of her preferred places to be, it was quiet and hardly anyone was ever in there except the castle elves. Lyra instantly began to bake the sweets she had so promised Mulicber earlier in the day and had set them to bake, impatiently waiting for Riddle to finish his prefect rounds and join her.

But would he show? It was practically midnight when she had begun baking. No, he would, he said he would.

"Did you invite me here so I can observe you bribe Mulciber with whatever it is you are making?" he stood against the kitchen opening visibly annoyed.

"I'm not bribing him; I'm being kind to him." Merely waving her hand a stool had instantly appeared across from her, she motions him to sit. Lyra somehow had to make him entrust her and drop the suspicions he had of her.

"You don't trust me. I don't trust you. So let's properly fix that. Two questions each and we're not allowed to skip one. No lying. How does that sound?" she interlaced her fingers and sternly set them down onto the table."Why would I ever tell you anything about me," Riddle stated with his brawny arms crossed.

"Fine, then I won't tell you anything about me. Absolutely nothing." she mimicked Riddle's posture directly crossing her arms as well.

He instantly looked to his side and after a few moments of mutual silence he turned back towards her, "three questions."

"Two questions." she persisted regardless.

"Okay, two questions no lying. You said they abused you, the orphanage. Why?"

She breathed in heavily, "From a young age I've displayed magic, not necessarily strong enough for the ministry to naturally notice but the muggles...they noticed. At first, it was a plate flying off shelves, or a plush toy levitating in the air but one day after getting picked on by some older kids, I remember how much I wanted them to hurt, to merely be taught a lesson." letting out a silent sigh, she continued, "So I broke two of their arms with just the movement of my wrist. After that, the nuns claimed I was possessed by the devil himself, they would summon a priest and perform exorcisms on me every month. Binding me to the bed, starving me for days. They even marked me with their God's sacred symbol on my shoulder." she stood up taking her stool next to him and gently pulled down her sleeve to reveal a mangled scar, "When I was struck with the same curse that Samuel was it covered it up with a new scar. I quite like this one better compared to the old one."

He solely looked at her, usually when those who find out about her abuse they would look at Lyra with such pity and sorrow as if she was a wounded dog. But not him, the mild expression on his sharp face was hard to tell what emotion he was displaying.

"Why are you so suspicious and hostile towards me." Asking her first question.

"I don't trust people easily, especially those who intentionally leave me a lasting scar after a first meeting." he knowingly lied.

"We said we wouldn't lie, I won't answer the question you ask me next if you continue, plus." pulling her trousers up to reveal her ankle, "you intentionally left me with one too."

He had to deliver some version of the truth to her, he couldn't very well say he felt credibly threatened by her magic or that he wanted her to be on his side when his plans continued, "Fine, it's because you show up from nowhere with a powerful display of magic and then disappear only to show up at Hogwarts and again display your magic. On top of that, no one recognizes, who you are, you aren't heard of in the wizarding world."

"So you thought I was suspicious just because I was skilled at magic." she let out a light laugh, " I will admit Riddle your magic is exceptional and better than any students I've seen here, hell even better than some wizards I've come across. But the fundamental difference between you and me is how we utilize it. I practiced my magic in the field, and it cost me. While you remain a gifted student, you've never fought out there in the real world. I'm not trying to set you down in any way or form but we've practiced our magic in different settings."