The Dentist's (Toothiana X Reader) Modern AU

*No pronouns will be used so any gender can read this*

All week I had been dreading the appointment. I'd been trying to brush my teeth and eat as much chewing gum and mints as I could so that when I got to the dentist's, they would tell me I didn't need my tooth pulled out.
Of course, that was a folly. But I did end up with minty-fresh breath.

I sat in the waiting room with my housemate, Jack. "Stop worrying," he chuckled, "it could be fun."

"Oh yes, fun, absolutely. I'm going to be in a weird-smelling room, lying in a chair that hundreds of other people have lied in, with one of my teeth being pulled right out of my mouth. What about that is fun?"

"You get a sticker at the end," Jack shrugged with a smirk. I didn't know how long it would take me to get used to his dyed hair. First it was brown and he bleached it, then bleached it again. Now he's dyed it white. I'd warned him many times that he was damaging his hair. Of course he didn't listen; it was all a game to him.
The person at the desk finally called my name and told me what room number I needed to go to, telling me it was 'just down the corridor'.
Jack and I got up and walked towards it. It was a different room than my usual one. Maybe my regular dentist was ill?

We knocked on the glazed pine door and it opened to reveal an enthusiastic-looking girl about my age. Her eyes were bright green and her teeth were far better-looking than mine. She was wearing teal scrubs and had a couple of yellow and green feathers in her long, multi-coloured hair and she welcomed us in with an air of excitement. I saw my regular dentist standing behind the reclining chair. "Ah! Hello, ____, this is my daughter, Tiana. She's training to become a dentist and she's going to assist me today." I didn't know it was 'Bring your Kid to Work Day'.

"Alright," I replied with an uncertain smile. I did trust my dentist, and her daughter seemed eager, so I tried to calm down and settle into the chair without giving away that I was terrified.

"I can tell you're afraid," Tiana began quietly, "but I'm not the one who'll be pulling your tooth, I didn't want to hurt you." She seemed very sweet.

"Aww," Jack said as he plonked himself down in the chair in front of mine and pulled a newspaper out of who-knew-where. I gave him a glare, before dropping my head backwards as the chair was reclined.

"Open wide." My dentist said. "Okay.. yep... this one, Ti."

"Lateral incisor, got it," Tiana replied, typing away on the computer.

"And this one, the wisdom tooth."

"You're pulling more than one?" I exclaimed, nearly jumping out of my seat.

"So much for wisdom," Jack muttered with a chuckle as he turned a page in his newspaper.

"Yes; your wisdom tooth is becoming inflamed, ___. You don't want it to cause anymore pain than it already has. If it stays in there, things could get a lot worse for you." I looked at Jack helplessly and he pointed at Tiana. I craned my neck to see her.

"You'll be okay, ___, I promise," there was so much sincerity in her words that I was able to calm down. I wasn't sure how she'd done it.

~

After the dastardly deed was done, Jack and I thanked the dentists and made our way out of the building. I was holding cotton to my numb, bleeding mouth. "Aghh."

"D'you want some ice-cream, ___?"

"Oh, that'll definitely help!" I heard someone say. I turned to see Tiana, no longer in teal scrubs, approach from behind us.

"Hey, Tiana, what are you doing out of the dentist's?" Jack asked. I was lucky that he often said what I was thinking. With my numb mouth, it was very useful.

"Oh! My shift finished. You didn't think I was going to be there all day, did you?" She asked. We didn't reply. "I'm only training, so I don't work the full day-..." her voice trailed off.

"Why donchuu come get ize-cweam wiv us?" I asked as best I could. I pulled the piece of cotton away from my mouth to see that it was almost completely soaked in blood. My eyes widened in horror even though I'd been told it was 'perfectly normal'. I threw the cotton in a nearby bin as Jack tossed me a spare (we'd been given a lot).

"Let me do the talking, ___," he stated, placing his hand on my shoulder. I nodded, knowing it would be better.

"I'd love to get ice-cream with you!" Tiana replied, bunching her fists close to her face. She looked adorable.

Once we reached an ice-cream stall, Jack bought a vanilla ice-cream with blueberry sauce.  Tiana ordered two of my favourite ice-cream and sauce and gave one to me. I wished I could ask her how she knew what my favourite flavour was. "It's a gift," she whispered, without me needing to say a word. As soon as I could speak again, I would thank her, and tell her that she'd made going to the dentist's a lot more enjoyable for me. Which was something I never thought anyone could ever do.

~

A week later, when it was time for my dentist to check my teeth again, I sat in the waiting room, alone this time. When it was my turn for the appointment, I felt butterflies in my stomach from the joy that I might see Tiana again. When I entered the room, my heart sank as I saw my regular dentist sitting behind the patients' reclining blue chair. "Hello, ___. Take a seat." I closed the pine door behind me and did as I was told. "Okay, this looks a lot better. Excellent!"

"HI, DAD!" Tiana exclaimed as the door of the room burst open. "Sorry I'm late, I had to-..." she froze when she noticed me. I waved shyly and she exclaimed my name.

"She hasn't stopped talking about you since your last appointment," my regular dentist said, rolling his eyes. I chuckled as my face heated up. I was flattered. This surely meant she liked me back.

~

When I got home after my appointment, I fumbled through the papers that I had been given by my dentist and the receptionist. "You dropped something there, ___." Jack mentioned, walking out from the kitchen with a plate in his hand and half a sandwich in his mouth. I looked down to see a small piece of torn paper. Inscribed on it with green gel pen was '~Ti'. I turned it over and almost leapt into the air when I saw a phone number. I yelped. "You okay?" Jack asked, backing out of the living room.

"She gave me her number!" I exclaimed.

Jack smirked at me. "Do you still hate the dentist's?" He asked.

"Surprisingly... no."