His Dragon Tamer (Hiccup X Gender Neutral!Reader)

(By Gender Neutral, I mean that it doesn't matter what gender you are because I'm not using pronouns for the reader.)

"Today I don't feel like doing anything," I sang to myself after waking up. I shivered; Winter was nearing and the warm fire in the hearth had died out overnight. "I just wanna lay in my bed." I yawned loudly, and my teal Terrible Terror - who was laying on my pillow - stretched and chirped a yawn to imitate me. I flopped back onto my bed - it wasn't a good idea because it wasn't very soft. When I heard my name from downstairs, I groaned. I was one of the busiest people on the island of Muspel; couldn't I rest for one day?

"_____, come downstairs, now!" My father, Halogi, shouted. He was very strict. I pulled on a pair of boots as my terror flew to my shoulder.

"Let's go and see what he wants." I jogged down the cracked wooden stairs to see my father standing next to the chieftess.

"Morning, _____," she greeted kindly. "We've been invited to Berk; I'm taking you with me."

~~~~~~~~~~

We left Muspel by ship. It took over three hours to get there, but the sea was calm and the weather reasonable. "What exactly did you need me for?" I asked the chieftess as I approached her at the helm.

"I'd like to introduce you to the chief and his son." She replied. His son! How could I have forgotten that Stoick the Vast had a son? He was around my age - I knew that much. But his name, if only I could remember his name...

"Hiccup!" Someone shouted from above us: A flaxen-haired girl flew past the ship on a blue Deadly Nadder. I envied her; you weren't allowed a rideable dragon until you were twenty on Muspel, which is why I had my terror. I didn't find it fair; I was my island's best dragon trainer! The ship jolted as two heavy dragons landed onboard the ship. There was one more thing I'd forgotten about the chief of Berk's son: he had a Night Fury...

"Hiccup Haddock?" My chieftess asked, approaching from the helm. I followed her cautiously as the vikings of our village moved aside.

"Chief Osteja?" Hiccup replied, dismounting his dragon. The girl on the nadder did the same. My chief smiled, her red hair flowing in the gentle breeze:

"It's nice to meet you, Hiccup. Are we close to Berk?"

"You will be if we help you," he turned to the girl, "Astrid, get Stormfly to pull the ship; it'll be quicker." She nodded curtly, getting on her nadder again and flying to the bow of the ship. The nadder's talons and spined tail gripped to it, pulling the entire ship forward as she flew, increasing our speed considerably. With the sudden jolt, however, a few of us fell over - including me... into Hiccup's arms. "Are you okay?" He asked as he helped me up. I looked into his forest green eyes.

"Yes, thank you," I replied. My face flushed to a temperature so high that I thought my dragon had set fire to me. I had not expected Hiccup to be so handsome...

~~~~~

Hiccup and his night fury, Toothless, took to the sky and soared away to alert the chief that we had been found and wouldn't be long. He didn't return. The boat ride continued for another twenty minutes until we arrived on the shores of Berk, greeted by Chief Stoick the Vast and Gobber the Belch.
Astrid left her nadder at the bow as she made conversation with us.
I had assumed at first that Astrid was Hiccup's girlfriend. "No, no," she laughed, "we get that a lot: I'm his best friend." I felt half-guilty for being relieved. "So, _____, I hear you're a Dragon Trainer?"

"And tamer; the very best on Muspel Island," Chief Osteja stated proudly from the helm. I struggled to smile: Astrid had a nadder and I was stuck with a tiny toddler's dragon - I was sure I'd remain bitter about that for a long while to come.