Basket of Eggs (Human!Bunnymund X Female!Reader)

(You don't have to imagine him as this, it's just a picture)

Australia. Two days before Easter. 2014.
I believed in the Guardians in spite of my age and they would check on me whenever they could because I helped them from time to time. As a part-time teacher, I had a close bond with the children in my neighbourhood, and I always knew who needed some extra support from the Guardians.

I was closest to E. Aster Bunnymund, the Guardian of Hope. I'd been to his Warren and helped him paint eggs; I'd snuggled in his brawny arms, but I'd never told him the truth. I loved him. He had to leave me early today because he was being called by North. "Can't I come?" I pleaded, blinking my eyes and pouting at him. I knew he couldn't resist.

"No." I was taken aback by the bluntness of his answer. It must have been serious. But then he softened. "But I'll be back as soon as I can, sheila."

"No worries," I replied with a smile. He handed me an egg to paint.

"Make it lucky," he whispered, before tapping his boot on the ground and slipping into the hole that caved in before him. I used the petals of the flower it left behind to decorate the blue egg. I wondered if he kept the eggs that I painted specifically for him, or if they joined all of the others to bring hope to the children of the world. Either way, the result would be pretty cool.

~

For over an hour I decorated the egg, making sure it was perfect. When it started looking like a mosaic, I decided I'd done enough. I sighed as I sat back in the chair in my conservatory. It was supposed to be sunny today, but a chill filled the air for a moment. "What's all that about?" I muttered to myself. Perhaps there was a more serious reason for Bunny to be called to the pole - I'd never seen it happen before, after all. He was probably much colder than me, anyway.

I decided to distract myself by going into the kitchen and opening my freezer, where I'd frozen some chocolate in silicone egg moulds to paint when I got bored. I placed the mould on the counter top and took out a small, wicker basket. I opened one of the wooden drawers of my kitchen to grab my kit of edible art supplies. When I'd got everything, I stayed in the kitchen, pulling up a chair to the counter (the conservatory could get quite warm and my eggs, unlike Bunny's, were not magic so they'd melt in the heat.

~

After another couple of hours, I'd finished decorating the eggs. I placed them all carefully into the wicker basket with Bunny's one on top, before placing the basket into the fridge. It's not a very good idea to put chocolate into the fridge, but I didn't have much else in there so it would be all right for a little while. "Where is he?" I thought to myself, just as I heard a knock at my conservatory door. "Ah!" I exclaimed, grabbing my basket from the fridge and hurrying through my house to get to the conservatory. When I arrived, however, I found that Aster wasn't the one who'd been knocking.

I'd never seen a person so daunting. His bright yellow eyes gleamed like angry fireflies and as he smiled, I saw teeth that looked sharp and threatening. He didn't say a word to me, only conjuring a little black ball of oily-looking sand in his hand and throwing it toward me. It passed through the glass door and blocked out my vision. I felt very fatigued all of a sudden, quite certain I'd fallen to the floor.

~

I woke up in the bottom of a Gothic, black, hanging cage surrounded by many of Toothiana's hummingbird fairies. "Oh, my goodness," I said to them. They flittered around me and chirped to one another - seeming to recognise me. I stood, very slowly, so the cage wouldn't shake too much, and every bit of confidence I was capable of feeling dissipated from my body as I looked at the dark room around me: More hanging cages: hundreds, in fact. And thousands and thousands of Toothiana's fairies. I didn't know she had so many, but I was sure that this must have been all of them. "Can any of you speak?" I asked. "Where are we?"

"Oh, what a good question," a voice said. I couldn't even tell where it had come from, but it sounded oily and dark. "You are my prisoner!"

The fairies chirped and squealed, terrified. The ones in my cage huddled toward me, and I brought my arms around them protectively. "And who is speaking?"

A menacing laugh sounded out, before a dark grey face appeared in front of my cage, with bright yellow eyes gleaming menacingly. "I am," he said with a smile, showing off his pointed white teeth. I backed into the cage, away from him. "I'm Pitch Black. Don't know if your rabbit boyfriend told you about me?"

Boyfriend? "No, he mostly only talks about important people."

Pitch scoffed. "Very well, then. Nighty-night."

I suddenly felt very tired, and I remembered what had happened in my house to send me to sleep the first time. "No," I said, but it was more of a yawn.

"I didn't give you a nightmare the first time. But don't worry; now you'll get to know how important I really am."

I was running through a field, chased by sandy, black horses with bright yellow eyes. The field seemed endless, and my running didn't feel very fast at all. The horses were catching up to me, but when I looked ahead again I saw Aster's silhouette. "Bunnymund!" I shouted. But he couldn't hear me. I noticed that he was being chased by a group of horses, too; in another direction.

Then the dream repeated. Again, and again. It got to the point where I wanted to scream. I would do anything to wake up.

"Now, you've dealt with that for a long time," Pitch said as I woke up. I opened my eyes and stood up in the cage I was in, clutching to the bars. He was standing on the other side. "Now, tell me, dear: are you afraid of me?"

"Not on my watch," I heard the familiar accent of Aster say, just before a boomerang hit Pitch in the side of his head, knocking him to the grey stone floor. "I'm here," Aster said to me as he opened the cage to let me out.

"The fairies," I said, but they were all gone.

Aster scooped me into his arms and I had to avert my gaze to prevent myself from feeling too flustered. "Tooth's got 'em back," he said. "You've been here a day, sheila." He buried his head into my neck, clutching me toward him as he walked. "I'm so sorry, I should have come to find you."

I hesitated, before kissing the top of his head. "Just get me home," I whispered.

~

Less than fifteen minutes later, Bunny was pacing around my kitchen while I took the eggs from the fridge to show him. "There's supposed to be a new Guardian, but he's driving me crazy. His name's Jack Frost, but on Easter 1968, he conjured a-"

"Bunny, I think the real problem is Pitch."

He gritted his teeth and clenched his fists. "He will never bother you again," he seethed. He placed his hands on my shoulders. "I will protect you until he's defeated."

"Y-you will: wouldn't you get bored of me?"

"I could never get bored of you, ___." He kissed my forehead, and pulled me close to him. I smiled, feeling the safety he gave me. "I love you."

I gasped, pulling away to look up at him. "I love you too, Aster." He moved his face closer to mine and closed his eyes. I kissed him, and he wrapped his arms around me tightly. My brilliant guardian. Now, to deal with Pitch.