sixteen: can't remember to forget u.

J E L A N I

Maybe it was wrong taking care of Xavier after after she had hooked up with another man in attempt to forget about Xavier

Maybe she was allowed to make her own decisions. Maybe she felt dirty and so used — but when she was in the presence of Xavier — she wasn't worried of being a whore. Or being fake — she had no reason to fake a smile.

It wasn't right for the two to be separated like like this. Though it may have meant more to Jelani than it did Xavier —

It seemed that less damage was made to others when the two were together.

Whether it were just fooling around, or having sex, or just calling one another — Jelani wasn't a loud and desperate whore and Xavier wasn't a drug addict or an orphan.

When they drove home that day, Jelani decided to play her music. Featuring a range from modern American pop artists, like Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande all the way to classical Nigerian and Jamaican pop music, Like Tolani and Gyptian. Reggaeton and classical RnB music —  jazz from artists like Billie Holiday or Joy Crookes. Rap and Hip hop, like Nicki Minaj and Tupac Shakur.

Jelani embraced all music. When she heard the dawn breaking with bees and local women singing as they fetched water from valleys — all she heard was love that foreshadowed the moment and the main purpose of music.

While the music played, they listened — and talked of the music.

It was evident that Xavier focused on the keys, the lyrics, the different layers of harmonies and the patterns played out in the music.

And Jelani simply liked anything — she would listen to music until it was etched into her, till the catchy music couldn't leave her mind. Until it mingled with the loneliness of her creative mind.

But for both, music gave them freshness and purity — they both felt it. Fragility and delicacy were bounded by passion formed a strong enough effect to encourage Jelani and Xavier to come to term with their feelings for one another.

Of course they weren't going to admit it — but it was there...

The conclusion. The X-marks the spot. The love scene frame from American romance films.

The anger from Xavier and the guilt from Jelani was buried deep under their other problems. And all they had were each other.

"So...I'm not a douche bag,"  Xavier chuckled and he unbuckled his seatbelt when they arrived at Xavier's place.

"You still are, don't get me wrong," She said laughing softly with her ethnic Jamaican accent pouring out with each of her words.

They stepped out of the vehicle and unlocked Xavier's awfully clean and neat house. Jelani expected him to be messy after their 'split'.