Chapter Seven: Dreams and Thoughts

The small drawing of the stars and the moon that Zoey had drawn on Erin's hand was still there, even though it'd been a week since their first sleepover together.
The drawing had faded quite a bit.

Erin and Zoey hung out nearly everyday, playing "Minecraft", going on walks, riding bikes and skateboards, and simply having a great time.

As the days went on, a certain, odd feeling had began to develop in Erin's heart. She didn't know how to describe it.
She felt really, really good around Zoey. She felt great when she was near her.

One Wednesday night in the middle of July, she pulled the comforter over herself, laid her head on the pillow, and drifted off into her subconscious.

Erin stood in a wide-open field. The sky was bright blue and clear. The grass was soft underneath her bare feet. The sun was shining down on her.

"Erin!" A voice called out cheerfully. Erin looked around for the voice, but she couldn't see anyone. The voice called out again. "Erin, over here!"
She walked through the field, following the voice's excited calls.

Eventually, the voice stopped as Erin reached a large oak tree.
A girl sat on a low branch.
The girl looked just like Zoey.

The girl was Zoey.

Zoey grinned at Erin, motioning for her to climb up.
Erin climbed up the tree, sitting next to Zoey.
"Can I hold your hand?" Zoey asked.
Erin nodded her head, giving Zoey her hand.

They sat in the tree, hand-in-hand, as Zoey asked a question.
"Do you ever think about your future?"
"What do you mean?"
"Well, what do you want to do for a career?" That didn't sound like a question that the real Zoey would ask, but this wasn't the real Zoey.
This was the version of her that Erin's subconscious had created.

Erin thought for a minute, then shrugged her shoulders.
"I don't know."

A couple moments of peaceful silence passed before another question was asked.
"What kind of person would you want to be with?"

That question stumped Erin. She thought hard for a solid minute.
"I don't really know. Someone nice, who I could talk to about anything." She answered.
"Would that person be a boy or a girl?"
"My parents wouldn't be too happy if that person was a girl." She answered honestly.

Zoey looked Erin right in the eye.
"Erin, it doesn't matter what makes your parents happy. If you like girls, that's okay. All that matters is what makes you happy. Understand?"
"Yes."

Erin stirred awake and sat up. Her mind was jumbled with thoughts.
What did that dream mean? Did it even have any meaning to begin with?
Why was the idea of liking girls brought up?

As of right now, Erin doesn't like girls. She'd been taught from young age that girls can not like other girls.

She sat in her bed, trying to decipher what the dream meant.