Chapter Twelve: Calm At The Beach

The next day came as Zoey asked her mom, Sharron, something.
"Can I borrow your car?"

Sharron looked at her curiously.
"Why?"
"I want to go to the beach with Erin, but I don't have my own car yet."

The woman thought for a minute.
"Okay. I'll let you borrow the car on one condition."
"What is it?"
"You're taking your brother with you. It'll be good for him to get outside."

"Okay. That's fair." Zoey admitted.
She would prefer it if her brother stayed home, but she didn't want to argue. "Mikey! Get your swim trunks on! I'm taking you to the beach!" She called out, hearing an excited noise come from the boy's bedroom.

Zoey thanked her mom, then went into her room to get ready.

After her and Mikey were ready, they went into the car.
Zoey picked Erin up, then drove off towards the beach.

The beach was rather crowded, but they managed to find a spot by a cluster of large rocks.
After Mikey had been covered in sunscreen, he started to joyfully climb up the rocks.

Zoey laid next to Erin on a beach towel.
All of her stirring thoughts from yesterday had gone away.
She was able to relax.

Later, the three of them made their way down the beach.

Every few minutes, Erin would pick up a smooth rock and stuff it into the pocket of her shorts.
"Do you collect rocks or something?" Zoey asked.
"Not really, I just think they look cool." Erin replied, fidgeting with a smooth, brown rock.

They continued to walk until Mikey began to whine.
"I'm tired, guys!" He groaned.
With that, they all took a break and sat down in the sand.

About five or so minutes went by as they headed back to their original spot.

Zoey felt extremely happy. She was next to her best friend, sitting under the warm sun, while her brother happily played in the sun.