Chapter Twenty-Two: Talk

The next day, a little after three o' clock in the evening, Zoey heard a knock at the front door.
Erin had been procrastinating doing this all day.

Mikey ran into the living room and got onto his tip-toes, smiling brightly at Erin through the small pane of glass on the front door.
"Erin's here!" He yelled.

Zoey walked into the living room, muttering something along the lines of, "What the hell does she want?"
She had to keep her cool, especially around her brother. She didn't want to get too angry and yell at him.

She motioned for Mikey to move out of the way and looked at Erin through the glass.
She opened the door a tiny bit.
"What?" She spat sharply.

That made Erin flinch.
"Can we talk? Please?"

Zoey didn't want to talk to Erin right now, she was still angry.
Though, she was also curious as to what she had to say.
She pulled the door the rest of the way open, letting Erin inside.

They went into Zoey's room, taking a seat on the bed next to each other, though Zoey maintained some distance between them.

"I'm sorry." Erin started abruptly. "I don't know why you won't answer my calls, but I'm sorry."
Zoey glared at her.
"Do you even know what you're sorry for, Erin?" She questioned harshly.

Erin shook her head a bit. She didn't know exactly what she did wrong, but she did know that she'd upset Zoey.

Zoey continued to glare at her. "I like you. Did you forget that?"
"No."
Zoey let out a frustrated sigh.
"Well, then how do you think it makes me feel when you go on about another girl?" She asked. "I mean, I can't control who you like, but it just hurts, because I kinda hoped that you'd like me back."

Erin sat there silently. She'd hurt Zoey. That felt beyond horrible, to know that she had hurt her best friend.
"I didn't want to hurt you. I've just been dealing with a lot of new and confusing feelings that I don't know how to deal with."

She was being honest, brutally honest.
Her honesty made Zoey not as tense. She wasn't completely calm, but she looked less angry than she had been a minute ago.

"But why'd you tell me about feelings for another girl?"
There it was. Erin now had to come clean about her strange method of avoiding confessing things to Zoey.
"That other girl doesn't exist, Zoey." She said.

Zoey looked at her, shocked and extremely confused.