Chapter 2

"Jacob!"

"Jake!" We were both surprised and happy. I threw my arms around his neck, having to go on my tippy toes since he's grown over the summer. He laughed a little, wrapping his arms around my waist lifting me up. We've only been apart a day and a morning, but you'd think we haven't seen each other in months. He put me down then went to stand in front of Bella with me beside him. She looked him up and down and at his arms real quick as she spoke.

"Hello, biceps! You know, anabolic steroids are really bad for you." Bella joked, but it's hard to tell when she does. Her face gives barely any emotions. He laughed and I rolled my eyes, wow he still likes her. I should have seen that coming. He asked about her when we hung out.

"Well, I'm just filling out Bella. You know, it wouldn't seem so drastic if we hung out more. Angel came to the rez so often during summer she practically lived there. You could have come with her a few times." he pushed me a little with a smile, and I pushed back sticking my tongue out at him. He rolled his eyes but kept focused on Bella.

"You should switch schools. You can come hang out with the palefaces." She said, and I held back a laugh. He would be absolutely miserable. He must have found that funny too because he scoffed a laugh and gave a shake of his head.

"I'm all right. I prefer the Rez school's exclusivity. They let any old riffraff into this place."

"I see," she said, and he hummed out a reason.

"Then why are you slumming it? Came to save me?" I asked him, hoping the answer was yes. I miss school at the Rez, the people there the most. He shook his head and playfully rolled his eyes at me.

"Uh, I was just buying a part for the Rabbit. You should really come take a ride when it's done. After Eva of course, she'll probably kick anyone's ass if they tried to ride it before her."

"Damn straight." I gave a big smile. I called dibs on the first ride as soon as my eyes landed on it.

"Well, good thing there's a back seat where you could sit. Is it fast?" she said to me then asked him, and my eyes widened a little. Woah, where is that coming from? We've been good lately, since the Florida trip.

"Um. It's- it's decent." we all started laughing. Although the car is named rabbit, it definitely has some work to do before it can even approach half the speed of a rabbit.

"I'm kidding," she said in between laughs.

"Okay good. Hey, happy birthday," he said after the laughter died down. Her mood dropped making it very clear that her birthday is really bothering her. I'll ask her about it later. I saw Edward glance at Jake and his face twitched a little like he was angered.

'Get out of his head.' I demanded once I realized he was reading Jake's thoughts.

'They're just so loud and all about Bella,' he said back, glancing at me and I dropped my glare.

'Of course, they are, he's had a crush on her since we were kids. He'll eventually get over it.' I informed him and he rolled his eyes.

'You seem bothered by that. Do you like Jacob?' he asked, and my eyes widened.

'Just stay out of his head.' I dropped the connection and blocked him from reading mine again.

"I saw this the other day and thought of you." I zoned back into the conversation and looked at the little dream catcher Jake pulled out of his pocket. He held it up, and I smiled at it. It's so beautiful.

"Catches bad dreams." he lowered it into her hand, and she took it more.

"That's kind of perfect. Um thank you," she said, and I was confused. Has she been having bad dreams? Add that to the list of things I should probably ask her about.