~11~

Rue's POV

I held on to Lexi, never wanting to let go. I want to protect her from the world that I've been exposed to. People see her as a young, pretty girl that they can take advantage of. I always want to be by her side to protect her.

After we stood there, Lexi wrapped in my arms, for another ten  minutes, we decided it was time to go. As we walk past the counter, I drape my arm across Lexi's shoulder an hold her close. I make eye contact with the creep. I dig in my pocket and pull out my middle finger.

We decided not to go eat somewhere and to just go home.

We biked passed my house first. We stop and I look at Lexi. She still seems a little shaken up.

"Do you want to spend the night?" I ask.

She nods.

We park our bikes in my garage and we walk to my room.

Once we get there, Lexi sits on my bed while I get her a change of clothes. I turn around and see her wince as she touches her waist. I walk over to her and squat beside her. I look at her, asking permission with my eyes. She nods.

I lift up her flower-pattern dress on one side past her hip and to her waist, revealing a bruise on her side.

"Shit," I whisper.

I run my fingers over it, wishing I could make it go away.

"I can go get you an ice pack," I suggest.

"No, it's okay. I kind of just want to sleep."

I go to the bathroom and change while Lexi changes in my room. When I walk back in room room, I find Lexi already under the covers.

I crawl into the bed next to her. We lay there, staring at each other for a while. I stroke her wavy hair, and stroke her cheek. That's when I notice a dark spot on her cheekbone. I immediately felt anger rush through my veins.

"Did he do this to you?" I demand.

Lexi immediately looks sad.

"No..." she turns her body and faces the ceiling. "It was my dad."

She spent the next few minutes telling me about what happened with her dad and the rock. How could he do that to his daughter? But then again, I did hit my mom. This reminds me of the talk I had with Ali, and how I told him I was a terrible person. I don't want Lexi to ever feel unsafe around me.

Since Lexi and I have been getting closer lately, I've changed, and for the better.

Lexi is still facing the ceiling. I grab the side of her face and gently turn it so she's facing me. I want her to look at me so she knows that I mean every word that I say.

"I won't let anyone hurt you again," I say with a tear running down my cheek.

Lexi doesn't say anything. She suddenly wraps me in a hug, and I return the favor.

We lay like this for the rest of the night.