~3~

Rue's POV

I can't remember the last time Lexi and I hugged. It's been a fucking long time.

Lexi rubs small circles in my back as I cry in her arms. She whispers It's Okay's and I forgive you's.

Once I slow my breathing, I gently pull away from her.

She smiles at me and I can't help but smile a little too.

The rest of the night we lay in her bed, laughing and talking. I love this feeling. The feeling when the world slows down and you just feel... happy.

The feeling you get when you're high.

Lexi makes me feel like I'm on a drug, but without the negative consequences.

At around midnight, we lay with our backs on her bed, staring at the ceiling. I count all of the glowing star stickers on it, that she's had since she was little.

Neither of us are talking. We're just enjoying each other's presence. I hear Lexi's every inhale and exhale.

I want to tell Lexi what happened with Jules, but I'm not sure. I hate talking about Jules in front of Lexi; it always makes me feel like I've replaced her. But Lexi deserves to know.

"Jules left," is all I said. I turn my head to face Lexi, who is still staring at the ceiling. I see her eyes open wider and she too turns to face me.

"What?" she asks.

"Jules left town. She left me."

Silence.

Lexi then shifts so that her whole body is facing me.

"Did she like... run away?" Lexi asks, concerned.

"Yeah, she took the subway. And she left me."

My throat feels like it's filled with cotton.

"Why did she leave?"

"It was my idea," I sigh. "I was so fucking sick of this town. But when the moment came, I couldn't do it. But Jules had already made her mind."

"Why didn't you leave?"

I thought for a second, searching for an answer.

"Honestly, Jules was toxic as fuck. She cheated on me. Plus I didn't want to leave my mom and Gia... or you." I was hesitant about those last few words, not knowing how Lexi would react.

She just nodded slowly, wrapping her mind around what I just said.

"I'm glad you decided to stay," she said. "Even if this town is pretty fucked up."

I let out a tired laugh.

We didn't say anything for the rest of the night. We slept with our backs to each other, as if trying to build back the barrier that we have broken done.