Chapter 8

Everyone was sitting in the main tent and eating dinner after a long day at Sogut Pezar. "So What did everyone do today at the Pezar other than deal with Ilbilge Hatun's drama?"Ertugrul Bey asked while rolling his eyes teasingly and smiling. "Alhamdulillah, Selcan Hatun and I were able to sell many of the rugs made by skilled Kayi hatuns at the rug house"Halime Hatun told Ertugrul Bey. "Çok Sukur" Ertugrul Bey responded. "Baba, you should ask Ahsen what she did at the Pezar today"Gunduz murmured. "What was that Son?"Ertugrul Bey asked sternly. "You should ask Ahsen what she did at the Pezar today"Gunduz repeated. "Why is that Gunduz"Ertugrul Bey asked. "Because she was buying dresses for herself, isn't that odd"Gunduz said, glaring at Ahsen. Ahsen ignored him. "How is that odd Gunduz? get to the point"Ertugrul replied. "Because usually Ana buys her dresses and Ahsen has always hated wearing them, she complains about dresses that are too pink, too flowy, and she hates shopping at the Pezar. Why did all of this suddenly change?"Gunduz explained. "Gunduz Abi, Don't stress yourself about it"Ahsen said bitterly and then went back to eating her food. "Ahsen is right Gunduz. Why do you care about such things?"Ertugrul snapped. "Because I know she is doing it all to impress Omer"Gunduz responded. "NOT THIS AGAIN"Halime roared. "Gunduz just shut up!"Ertugrul yelled. "What about you Gunduz? Would you like to tell Baba and Ana about Lady Irene or should I?"Ahsen asked, glaring at her brother. "What is this Ahsen?"Ertugrul asked sternly "Don't be like your brother, leave this matter"he continued. "No I won't baba, because Gunduz met a girl named Mara in the Pezar, she seemed like a maid. He then told Mara to give a letter to her madam, Lady Irene. Mara then went towards Lefke Castle. I did some research and I found that the name of the daughter of the tekfur is Irene. So tell us Gunduz what business do you have with the daughter of the tekfur that you are sending her secret letters?"Ahsen asked. "Ahsen!"Gunduz yelled. "Enough! Gunduz, calm down, and tell me why are you sending secret letters to this Irene girl"Ertugrul Bey snapped. "I never did that, Ahsen is lying"Gunduz lied. "Vah! Vah! Gunduz Alp! you are accusing an innocent person, your own sister of lying, Allah will punish you, don't worry!"Ahsen yelled, then she stormed out of the tent. "Ahsen has done nothing wrong, You are the one who has disobeyed me, gone behind my back, and sending love letters to my enemy's daughter!"Ertugrul scolded. Halime went to Ertugrul and tried to comfort him. "It's ok, my gazelle eyes, Gunduz must learn his lesson" Ertugrul said to Halime. "Baba, I'm sorry but Ahsen is lying, I know it's hard for you to believe but please.."Gunduz lied again. He then leaned forward to kiss Ertugrul's hand, but Ertugrul kept his hands at his sides. "Anyone who falsely accuses my daughter, who harms her, or raises her voice at her and isn't her parent or grandparent, should fear my wrath, My own son is not excluded from that!"Ertugrul yelled, his voice was shaking as it echoed throughout the tent. 

The next day....... 

"May I come in kizim"Ertugrul Bey asked. Ahsen was sitting in her tent, combing her hair. "Baba, are you alone?"Ahsen asked. "Yes kizim"Ertugrul replied. "Come in then"Ahsen said. Ertugrul walked in and smiled. "Oh that's why you asked me if I was alone, because you are brushing your beautiful long hair, it's just like your mother's, and your eyes are just like hers as well"Ertugrul said as he sat down next to Ahsen. Ahsen smiled hesitantly. "Your brother has left the tribe, he is hiding from both my wrath and from Ilbilge Hatun, you would know this already if you didn't stay in your tent and not talk to anyone for the past 2 days"Ertugrul explained. 'Baba, I didn't want to see Gunduz Abi, I am very annoyed with him"Ahsen explained. "I know kizim, I know"Ertugrul responded. "May I come in Ahsen"Suleyman asked. "No Suleyman, you will not see my daughter's beauty. Wait for her to wear her headdress"Ertugrul replied. Ahsen smiled and wore her headdress. "Come in now Suleyman"Ertugrul said. "Sorry to disturb you both"Suleyman said as he walked in. "What are you doing here Suleyman? If I was not in Ahsen's tent would you still come here, it is not proper for any man other than Abdurrahman Alp, me, and Ahsen's brothers to come here unless for protection of Ahsen in dangerous situations"Ertugrul snapped. "I came here to ask Ahsen if she has considered my marriage proposal"Suleyman explained. "Suleyman, my son, this is not the way, you can ask me but not my daughter. Ahsen will only tell her opinion about the proposal to me, Halime, and your mother, you can go now, you will be informed of her decision when it's been made"Ertugrul scolded. Once Suleyman had left, Ahsen turned to her father and said "Baba, you were harsh on him". Ertugrul smiled and said "No don't worry kizim, you'll understand when you have a daughter of your own, and maybe Suleyman will be the father of that daughter, then he will understand what I mean as well". Ahsen gasped. "Baba, I can't imagine Suleyman to be the father of my children, how can you say that"Ahsen said, looking worried. "calm down kizim, obviously if you will be married, then he will be the father of your children not anyone else"Ertugrul said. Ahsen gasped again and laughed.