Don't Say No

A/N: wow okay the views on this has reached 20, thank you guys so much!! Ik this isn't as good as other fics so thx ahaha. I'm thinking of also creating a MCYT tiktok just to find some friends cause no one I know actually likes watching them so if you'd be my friend just lemme know ty.

Dream laid in his bed, staring at his phone on his nightstand. It was the next day after his argument with George. He hadn't slept since he'd fallen asleep with Sapnap on the couch. He couldn't stop thinking about George. Would George even want to talk to him? They'd both had the whole night to think and process, so he was hoping George would be ready to talk to him about it.

Am I even ready to talk to him about it?  Dream asked himself. It's now or never. He numbly reached one hand out and placed it on top of his phone. He'd meant to grab it, but his hand stopped working as he felt his phone under the palm of his hands. Just do it

His fingers wrapped around his phone and he pulled it over to him. It felt heavier than usual. He stared at his lock screen. No notifications from George. They usually never went this long without talking to each other. He swiped up and unlocked his phone. He clicked on his contacts. He typed in George's name. 

Dream stared at George's name for a moment. He took a deep breath. He had to do it. He needed George, they had to fix this.

He clicked call. 

The phone started to ring. Slowly, Dream pulled the phone to his ear. Please answer please answer please answer. The phone continued to ring. Dream thought George wasn't going to answer, but at the last possible minute it stopped ringing. George answered.

"George?" Dream asked, his voice just barely above a whisper.

"Yes?" George's voice sounded rough. He cleared his throat.

Now that Dream had him on the phone he didn't know what to say. "I figured we should talk," Dream said finally.

"Then talk," George said. "You seem to do good at that much."

Dream winced. "I'm sorry," he said. "I didn't realize how much I would upset you... I meant everything I said, George. Everything I said about you, I meant. It didn't come out very well, but I meant it."

George didn't say anything.

"I should've said it better," Dream continued when George was silent. "I should've been more subtle, but I don't know what came over me. I just... saw you there and I wanted you-"

"Don't say that," George's voice was shaky.

Dream blinked. "Are you crying?" he asked.

"No," George was lying. Dream could hear the crack in his voice.

"George... I'm so sorry," Dream's throat got tight. "I never meant for this to happen... I just... I love you, George. I've always said that but maybe it's not working, so let me rephrase: I'm in love with you, George. I just want..." his voice trailed off as he heard George's soft crying on the other end of the phone.

"Stop saying that," George said quietly. "Stop."

"Why?" Dream asked, confused. "Don't you love me, too? Isn't that what you'd want to hear?"

"Yes, that's the problem," George sniffed. "There is no way we'd ever work, Dream, which is why I never said anything. We live so far away... what the heck are we supposed to do? Even if we did start dating, what would change?"

Dream's mouth was dry. He'd never thought about it like that. "Reassurance," he said finally. "That at the end of the day, we still have each other and that won't change. No one else can come take you and I wouldn't have to go through that heartbreak of losing you."

"It doesn't change anything," George said shakily. "We're better off just being friends."

"George, we'll never know until we try," Dream insisted desperately. "Why have you given up on us before we even started?"

There was a bunch of sniffles before Dream got a response. "I think we should just stay friends for now," he said finally. "Continue on as before. And if down the road we want to try, then we can try. But until we figure things out and meet in person at least once, I don't want to be your boyfriend."

I don't want to be your boyfriend. The words pierced Dream's heart. I don't want to be your boyfriend. He never imagined those words could break him as much as they just did.

"I'm not saying no, Dream," George said. "But until we meet... there's no way."

"Then come out here," Dream replied. "I know what it is that was holding you back now, so we can work with it. We'll do whatever you want, George, but we'll never know how things would work out unless we try."

George was quiet, which Dream took as thinking.

"No," was all George said.

Dream stared blankly at his wall, shocked. "No?" He repeated.

"No," George said.

"Why not?" Dream asked.

"Dream, neither of us are ready," George said with another sniff. "I'm not going to come visit you like this. We both need to calm down."

"George, we can figure this out in person, it would probably be easiest that way," Dream insisted. "I'll go out there if you want-"

George cut him off. "No, Dream," he said, his voice firm this time. "If we meet in person then we'll be all over each other and then I'll never want to leave and I'll want you, but I need to sit back and look at it objectively first."

"Objectively?" Dream repeated. "George, when you love someone it doesn't have to make sense."

George didn't say anything at first. "We're not going to meet yet, Dream," his voice was back to being shaky.

Dream felt hopeless, laying there, staring at his blank wall. "George... don't say no," he begged.

"I'm not saying no, Dream," George reminded him. 

Dream closed his eyes, letting out a sigh.

"I still want to meet you, I still want to be with you," George said gently. "But I think we need to take a step back for just a minute, okay?"

Dream slowly opened his eyes again. "Don't give up on me."

"I would never."

Dream held onto his words. "Okay..." he didn't know what to say. Did he tell George he loved him? It felt out of place after everything they'd just talked about.

"I do have a question, though," George added quietly. "Before you hang up."

"Yeah, what is it?"

"... Does Sapnap know?"

Dream smiled, the first time he smiled since they'd talked last. "Um, yeah, he does," he said. "He came in after you hung up and I was... well I was freaking out and I may or may not have dumped everything on him."

He could feel George's cringe from all the way in Florida. "Oh gosh," he grumbled. "Is it gonna be awkward?"

Dream even managed to laugh at that. "No, I don't think so," he replied. "He's been really supportive. He might make fun of us a little bit, but it won't be awkward. Though I think we should keep it between just the three of us."

"Yeah, I agree," George said. "If we figure something out down the road, then we'll tell people, but for now, I think things should just stay between us."

"Of course," Dream replied. "And George?"

"Yeah?"

"If you ever have anything that you feel like you need to say to me, just say it," Dream said. "No judgement, free end, just say it. I'll always be here for you."

"I will," George said. "But the same thing goes for you, too."

Dream smiled. "I will."