Love at First Fight [An Arranged Marriage] 1

Well, this is just an old story I've got.  Thought I minus well put something on here! Not the best but tell me what you think.  Want me to continue posting?

Karli's POV

As I was waiting for the bell to ring, I stared blankly at the ceiling of my science class. I've always hated science! Science and math. They always say that we are taught this stuff for future reference, but that is not true at all. I mean, why in the heck would we need to know the difference between kinetic energy and static energy? We wouldn't. I just don't see the point of learning stuff that we will never use. It's a waste of time. I'm more of an art person. Drawing, painting, singing, writing..... that's my thing. I don't mean to brag but, I am an awesome drawer!

I slowly made my attention to the clock. 2 minutes left. I gave a short sigh and waited for this dreaded class to end. When the bell finally rang, I grabbed my bag and rushed out of the room. I happily skipped to my locker to put my things up.

"Hey Karli!"

I turned my head toward the voice. I smiled when I saw Vicky coming my way.

"Hey!" I said. Vicky is my best friend in the whole world! We've known each other since kindergarten when we shared a cookie at snack time. We immediately clicked. "What are you doing this weekend?" Vicky asked me when she got to my locker.

"I gotta babysit Saturday." Vicky frowned for a second and then smiled widely. I was always jealous of her smile. "Maybe I can help you!" she said.

I laughed and told her that Mrs.Smith doesn't want me having friends over. I told her I would call her and that I had to go. I went out the double doors and to the the sidewalk to be greeted by my sister, Josie, to begin our 2 mile walk home. I really wish I had a car to drive so we wouldn't have to do this every single freakin day! Gah!

After about 20 minutes of talking about school and what was in the gravy at lunch, Josie got deadly quiet, as if in deep thought. She suddenly stopped walking and looked at me.

"Karli, have you... have you ever thought about leaving here?" I knew what she was asking me. Have I ever thought about running away. Actually, I've thought about it a lot. I want to get away from our foster parents; Josie feels the same. They haven't done anything like abused us or anything like that, but... they were only keeping us because they got paid for it.

When I was six, Josie three, our parents were out of town on a business trip and ended up in a fatal car crash. Our foster parents, Karen and David, were close friends to my mom and dad. At trial, they were granted custody of us and are being paid $250 for each child by the government each month. ( The money was supposed to help care for us, but they only use it for their own luxuries) They stop getting paid when we turn 18 or if we leave. Whichever comes first.

I would probably have run away by now but, I have Josie to look after. I looked into her eyes."Of course I've thought about it, but I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't leave you behind Josie. Never."

And I meant every word. I could never leave Josie with them. Josie smiled weakly and turned her head to look in front of her. We didn't talk the rest of the way home.

Once we got to the house, I noticed a car in the driveway. It was a hummer. Showoffs! I thought as I got my key out to unlock the door. As soon as I turned the knob I knew something was wrong. Josie must have sensed it too as she faced me with a worried expression.

There, in the living room was David and Karen and a man and woman sitting on the couches. The two strangers looked up at me. The man had thick, dark brown hair and piercing honey brown eyes. He was wearing a navy suit and tie. The woman, who looked to be his wife, had long, straight chestnut hair and hazel blue eyes. She was wearing a knee-length black skirt and an arm length purple sweater. She also had a pearl necklace hanging loosely around her neck. They looked very wealthy.

David turned to me and signaled me to sit down. Then he turned to Josie.

"Josie honey, can you go to your room" he said, a stern look on his face. Josie looked at me, the worried expression still on her face."But-" She was cut off by David.

"Now!" he said as calm as he could. Josie frowned, but did as she was told. He turned his attention to again.

"Karli, this is Mr. and Mrs. Hunt." Mrs. Hunt smiled and her husband nodded.

"Hello dear, please call me Charlie and my husband's name is Grant. Haha... Grant? That's a weird name. Hmm.. sounds like a lotion. Ok Karli, completely off subject. I smiled and nodded. They seemed nice I guess.

"Hi, umm... Charlie... may I ask why your here? And how does it involve me?" I asked, slightly confused. I didn't want to be rude, but what do they want with me?

Karen spoke instead.

"Well, Karli.. we made an.. an agreement, with the Hunts' ." I turned to face her, now highly suspicious. "What kind of an agreement?" I asked slowly, fear starting to grow in me. She hesitated before she spoke. "Well, you are to marry the Hunts' son, Jason, and live with them in California so the two of you can get to know each other."

I just sat there, processing everything she had just told me. Then it hit me. They are selling me away to marry a stranger.

"WHAT!" I yelled, my eyes wide with disbelief. Mom winced at my outburst and dad closed his eyes for a moment. "Why!?" I yelled once again. I can't believe this! An arranged marriage! "But I'm only sixteen! I can't possibly marry so young!"

"The wedding won't be until you are eighteen. For now, you are to live with us to bond with Jason. We picked you to loosen him up. My son is not the most trusting person and you will be good for him" Mr. Hunt told me.

Now I was angry. I'll be good for him?! Pfft. As if. And don't I have a say in this? And what about Josie... I can't leave her! I promised her I wouldn't!

"Can... can Josie come with me?" I asked, my voice shaky. David answered, "No. You are to marry Jason, not Josie. She will stay here."

Just then, Josie came running into the room toward me yelling "no!" over and over. She hugged me tight, tears in her eyes. "No, Karli, no don't leave!"

I soon found myself crying as well, holding onto Josie. "I'll come back for you Josie, I promise." I whispered in her ear before David pulled her off of me. She nodded, tears rolling down her smooth cheeks.

I promise.