17

Stevie was drained, she was emotionally, physically, and mentally drained and all she really wanted to do was open up a bottle of wine and guzzle it but she swore to herself that she was going to stay completely sober until she could legally claim Misty and Cordelia as her children. As her car pulled up into their driveway at four-thirty, a giant gray cloud of sadness overcame her and she just sighed out as she made her way into the house. 

"Linds Honey! I'm home! Let's go out tonight, I don't wanna cook?" She calls dropping her purse in the middle of the floor and pressing into the house. When she gets no response from Lindsey she calls out again. 

"Lindsey! Where are you!" 

There was still no answer and she would've sworn that he was gone if his car wasn't in the driveway. She just sighed and walked into the kitchen and paused when she saw that the bag of smiley fries and the bag of dino nuggets were now empty sitting out on the counter. 

"LINDSEY, WHY WOULD YOU EAT THE DINO NUGGETS THEY'RE FOR CORDELIA." There still wasn't a reply and she just huffed and folded up the bags throwing them in the trash can. As she walked by the sink she saw the baby bottle and the toddler dishes in the sink and her heart started to beat out of her chest. 

"LINDSEY!" 

He didn't answer again and she practically ran into the living room where she saw her diaper bag sitting on the armchair and she picked it up before looking around the room and she saw the frames sitting on the coffee table. She slowly walked over to them and picked one up examining it. She wasn't wearing her glasses so she couldn't read what was on it but the words were big enough she could kind of make out the word Adoption and she ran up the stairs. 

She opened Misty's nursery first and saw that the cradle wasn't in there anymore. She then busts into Cordelia's room and saw the toys in the middle of the floor and then she heard it. She heard Misty's cry and she sprinted into the master bedroom where Lindsey was lying on the bed with Cordelia who was just pointing at the TV where a Mickey Mouse Cartoon was playing. 

"Oh my god." She states looking at the scene.

"Before you start that you might want to change Misty's diaper," Lindsey states making a face at the baby on his chest. 

Stevie didn't ask any questions she just plucked the baby off of his chest and sat at the foot of the bed where the diapers and wipes were. 

"I don't understand." Stevie shakes her head when Misty is clean and content sitting up on Stevie's lap, Stevie holding her up by the armpits.

"Marge came by completely out of the blue while you were at your interview. She said that Peter and Eleanor forfeited their stance on the adoption because they left them. They physically left them. The neighbor heard them screaming and called the police. Turns out he had taken Eleanor on a business trip and the girls were left alone for two days. Marge immediately called the judge and they're ours. Legally Steph...they are our daughters." Lindsey explains.

"Well, are they fed-fed..." Stevie looks at him.

"Hungy mama." Cordelia states.

"She's still hungry but we need to go grocery shopping. I heard you yelling and we have decided, we being Cordelia and me, that we would be going to Bob's Big Boy." Lindsey smirks

"Bob's Big Boy...you chose Bob's Big Boy." Stevie sighs.

"Just because you used to work there doesn't mean you can't eat there." Lindsey smiles.

"Well, even so...I think before we go we should change the girls' clothes. Where did they even get these dresses." Stevie wrinkles her nose. Misty was wearing a bright pink tule dress and Cordelia was wearing a lime green version of the same dress.

"It's what Marge brought them in. I'm assuming the other people bought them." Lindsey replies.

"Nor, said we couldn't wear the clothes mama packs we had to wear her clothes...says she makes," Cordelia mumbles through her thumb still stuck to Lindsey like a leach.

"All of their clothes came with Marge and I do mean everything you packed for them was never unpacked and still in their little bags. The way we folded them and everything." Lindsey nods.

"Well I think, you could wear your pink dress with blue hearts then." Stevie smiles.

"Weally?" Cordelia questions starting to jump on Stevie and Lindsey's bed.

"Really." Stevie nods.

"Dwess, dwess, dwess, dwess." Cordelia cheers climbing and sliding out of Stevie and Lindsey's bed and running to her bedroom. 

"Lindsey, honey... I'll go take her, can you dress Misty?" Stevie asks.

"Of course." Lindsey takes the six-month-old from her and Stevie makes her way to Cordelia's bedroom where she was trying to jump in the closet but not being tall enough to grab the end of the dress. 

"I've got it." Stevie smiles taking it off the hanger and taking her spot in the middle of the carpet and helps get her dressed. 

As Stevie wrapped the Moby wrap around her in the Big Boy Parking Lot, she was happy so very happy, and as soon as Lindsey put the  six-month-old in it, her little legs kicking Stevie's hip Stevie felt happy and contented. Like that gray cloud that had been looming was gone and her sunshine was back. 

Once they were seated had ordered their food and had received it munching happily Lindsey watched Misty. She was bigger now, so her little head with now blonde wisps of hair and her big newly brown eyes were staring intently at the fry Stevie was popping into her mouth.

"I think we should try to start Misty on baby food," Lindsey explains.

"Well, she is six months it might be a good idea. And we do have to go to the grocery store. What made you think of that?"  Stevie nods.

"Look at her, she wants your fry," Lindsey explains. And Stevie does she stares at her while she brings a fry up to her mouth and Misty looks at intently and starts lifting her arm up. 

"I guess so, and we should probably look into getting her some 6-9 month clothes and hell, even bigger clothing." Stevie states. 

"Mmm, we'll go to Walmart." Lindsey sighs. 

Stevie hated Walmart, would much rather go to local farmers markets and Whole Foods, but you can't get Dino Nuggets and Smily Fries from there, let alone goldfish crackers but she was worried because they still hadn't taken the kids Lindsey would go to the store or Karen would, and they barely left the house with kids unless it was to go to the private park in the Pacific Palisades subdivision or that one time they went to McDonald's and the beach.