6

Stevie quickly takes the baby from the social worker that's in the room and she starts cooing at her and cradling her close and the baby's head turns towards her breast and starts rooting for her nipple and somehow she finds it and starts suckling on it over Stevie's shirt and her bra. 

"She's hungry," Stevie states calmly. 

"I'm sorry she..." The social worker starts.

"She's fine, but she's getting frustrated because I'm not producing milk, so please...please just go make her a bottle." Stevie sighs sitting down on the little couch in the room, patting her little bottom through the hospital swaddle.

While Stevie tends to Misty, Lindsey takes a good long look at Cordelia who's crying in the little crib standing up on her two little legs. She has big brown teary eyes and blonde curls almost as if she came directly from him and Stevie and he smiles and pulls her into his arms. 

"What's the matter, sweetheart?" He asks in a soothing voice. 

She's not sure at first still crying but she looks at Lindsey, she looks into his blue denim eyes and he smiles at her, and then a feeling of calmness, peace, and protection overcomes her and she stops crying, she sniffles and he gasps sitting down on the couch next to Stevie. 

"Hey, sweetheart, I'm Lindsey...can you tell me your name?" Lindsey asks rocking her gently and rubbing her back.

"Deeya. Missy." She sniffles but points to her sister.

"Delia and Misty huh...can you say my name...Lindsey?" 

"Indsey." She replies.

"Yeah, Lindsey. This is Stevie can you say, Stevie?" Lindsey points to Stevie who's rocking the whimpering Misty looking at Cordelia.

"Teevie." 

"Yeah, Stevie." Lindsey kisses her messy blonde curls and cradles her closely. 

The social worker returns with the bottle and Stevie takes it and gently moves Misty's head away from her nipple and she screams, causing Cordelia to cry more.

"Oh it's okay, it's okay...your sister's fine. See, see." Lindsey coos as Stevie stuffs the bottle into her mouth and Misty starts greedily sucking it down.

"The poor thing is starving, when was the last time she ate?" Stevie questions.

"I don't know...The hospital didn't tell us."The social worker shakes her head.

Cordelia just points at the bottle and then looks up at Lindsey. 

"Um, can she have some milk or something?" Lindsey questions. 

"Of course... I'll go get it." Marge grins. 

Misty finishes eating just as Marge brings a sippy cup for Cordelia and Lindsey hands it to her and she starts drinking it greedily.

Stevie instinctively burps the baby and then she looks at Lindsey and Cordelia who's falling asleep in his arms, the sippy cup falling as she does fall asleep.

"We'll take them." Lindsey and Stevie say simultaneously causing everyone in the room to start chuckling lightly.

"I'll put them on reserve for you...before we go forward with the adoption though, we do have to conduct a home study." Marge smiles.

"Of course, when..." Stevie nods eagerly. 

"We'll do it first thing in the morning, we want to get them in a home as quickly as possible. It'll give you the afternoon to get everything you need to situated." Marge smiles

"I know that this might not go through but could we...could we prepare like they're going to stay with us?" Stevie inquires. 

"What do you mean?" Marge questions.

"Well like, buy them clothing and toys and furniture and stuff?" Stevie sighs.

"You can do whatever you want to make your home ready for them." Marge smiles.

"What are their...well, what's Cordelia's size?" Stevie asks.

"She's two so I'd play it safe and get her 2T clothing." Marge nods.

"Lindsey, do you want to...want to hold Misty?" Stevie asks staring down at the wide-awake baby girl who's staring up at her with the most curious blue baby eyes, little tufts of brown hair sticking up.

"Sure, let me put Cordelia in the crib." Lindsey sighs standing up and gently carrying the toddler to the crib. 

When Lindsey sits back down, he gently takes Misty into his arms and he looks down at her. She gives a gummy grin and Lindsey chuckles lightly cradling her close.

"These are our kids Lindsey." Stevie sniffles, tears welling up in her eyes. 

"Yeah, they are...they're our kids Angel." He leans over and kisses her. Marge and the social worker looking on in delight at how sweet the kiss was. 

***

Reluctantly a little after both of the girls had fallen asleep Stevie and Lindsey sit down with the social worker and Marge and discuss what physically has to be done in the home inspection and then Stevie and Lindsey leave the office with a little bit more hope in their hearts.

"We're going to have two little girls Lindsey." Stevie sniffles.

"Are their last names going to be Buckingham, or Buckingham-Nicks or Nicks-Buckingham." Lindsey questions.

"Their last names are going to be Buckingham. Because our last names are Buckingham." Stevie explains.

"Well, your last name is Nicks-Buckingham." He states referring to her new social security card that came in the mail. 

"Exactly so our babies are going to be Buckinghams...can you believe it Lindsey, our babies two sweet little girls." Stevie smiles.

"I know...it's exciting." Lindsey smiles.

"We have to go shopping for them. They don't have anything and we..." Stevie starts,

"I know, where do you want to go?" Lindsey inquires.

"There's that big baby boutique in downtown Santa Monica...could we please go there?" Stevie asks biting her thumbnail. 

"Of course we can." Lindsey nods.

"And we have to make sure that we can get everything to my house today," Stevie tells him.

"I know, Angel, don't worry about it. Everything will be perfect for tomorrow morning even if I have to work all night." Lindsey nods. 

Walking into the store, Stevie just stops in the doorway and looks around. 

"Steph...don't, don't go overboard. We don't even know if we're going to get to keep the girls yet." Lindsey sighs rubbing her shoulders.

"I know, honey but we need to have baby stuff...and, and if it doesn't work out...well we can donate it all, I just...I want what's best for the girls." Stevie sighs. 

"I know you do and you can get all of that, but don't go overboard Angel." Lindsey kisses her head.