5

February 1, 1990

It was very early in the morning about eight o'clock. Lindsey was awake and he was downstairs reading the morning paper when the telephone rang. Knowing Stevie had one in her bedroom, he quickly went to answer it so it wouldn't disturb her sleeping.

"Hello." 

"Is this Lindsey Buckingham?" 

"Yes, who's this?" He questions.

"Marge, from Little Loves Adoption Agency" She smiles.

"Oh, what's up?" Lindsey inquires.

"So...I just got your approval papers but...we currently have a baby physically at the office. We're trying to find a placement for her but I wanted to talk to you first because based on your little questionnaire as far as we know, she's a perfect candidate for you and Stephanie and I think she'll be a great match." 

"Oh. wow." Lindsey states stunned slightly.

"There's a catch though." She sighs.

"What's the catch?" Lindsey inquires.

"Misty May is the baby's name. She was born on January 29th, 1990." Marge starts.

"Oh, a really, newborn." Lindsey chuckles lightly.

"A really newborn yes, but the catch is that she has a two-year-old sister and we're trying to keep them together. The toddler is named Cordelia June...I know you guys said through one year old, But I do really believe that Stephanie will fall in love with these girls." Marge sighs.

"It doesn't matter...Stevie and I will be there in...well, two hours because I have to get her out of bed." Lindsey chuckles.

"I'll keep them here. See you in a bit." 

"See you." Lindsey hangs up. He takes a moment to lean up against the counter and shake his head. That would be two babies to take care of...two children and he was originally only expecting one of them, but now...he was just shell shocked, but he quickly jogged up the stairs.

He pushed Stevie's bedroom door open and she was laying on the right side of the bed, on her right side, her left hand up by her lips and he smiled seeing the ring glistening in the break of the curtains where the sun was slightly shining through. 

"Steph...Steph, Angel, come on you have to wake up." Lindsey sits by her hip and starts tucking strands of hair behind her ear. 

"Mmm, no it's too early." She mumbles into the pillow.

"Steph, we have to go." Lindsey states.

"Go where?" She questions.

"To the adoption agency." Lindsey states.

"Are they making me do a third drug test?" Stevie questions.

"No...we got approved." He states.

"What?" She shoots up.

"Our application was approved. Marge just called and there's a set of sisters at the office right now and she thinks they'd be a perfect match for us." Lindsey states as Stevie shoots up.

"What?" Stevie asks grabbing his hand.

"Yeah, there's Cordelia who is two years old, and then there's Misty who is only three days old and was just discharged from the hospital," Lindsey explains. 

"But we said..." Stevie starts.

"They're biological sisters Steph, they don't want to separate them," Lindsey explains.

"Can we do it, can we handle two of them?" Stevie asks.

"We'll be fine...come on, get dressed and let's go." Lindsey chuckles.

***
When they get to the Agency Stevie practically sprints up to the door and Lindsey laughs as they giddily approach the reception desk. They don't even check in when Marge waves them towards her. 

Once they're seated in her office Marge clears her throat. "So, Cordelia June was born on September 10, 1987. And Misty May was born on January 29, 1990. Their mother-and I'm not at liberty to reveal her name, their last names, or their family's names-but their mother died during childbirth. Placenta Previa and she ended up bleeding out. They saved the baby but they couldn't save her. Their father was killed in a car accident in November. We've called both sets of grandparents and every close living relative that the hospital had on file, but no one wants the children." 

"I don't understand how they couldn't want them." Stevie shakes her head.

"Well, their father's parents live in a retirement community in Florida and they don't have any room for two children. His only sibling, a brother,  is on active duty in the Marines and he doesn't want to put the children through that. Because he's single and if he gets deployed..." Marge trails off.

"Right, what about her side." Lindsey nods.

"Her mother wouldn't even let us talk, because apparently they weren't too fond of the marriage between the parents and they hadn't even met Cordelia. Same for her brother." Marge explains.

"So this is their only hope." Stevie states.

"It is. Yes." 

"How did you know the baby's name?" Lindsey asks after a moment.

"We haven't gained access to the deceased home. And we probably won't as everything went through to her parents. But, what they had on them when they were brought in, was the pajamas that Cordelia's wearing and her coat and the slippers on her feet. In the baby bag was a little baby book that said Misty May on it, so we assumed that was her name and Cordelia, we haven't gotten her to talk to us but she keeps pointing at the baby saying, Missy, so we just went with it." Marge explains.

"Could we change their names if we wanted to and we do decide we want to adopt them?" Lindsey inquires.

"Well they'll take on your last name, I wouldn't change Cordelia's name because she's two she knows it. You might get away with Misty's name but I don't know how Cordelia would feel about it." Marge shrugs.

"It's okay...Misty is a fine name Linds." Stevie shrugs.

"I know, but I know you had your heart set on naming a baby Lilian Rebecca." He sighs.

"We'll get a dog and name her Lillian Rebecca." Stevie laughs lightly.

"Alright...would it be possible if we could go see them?" Lindsey inquires.

"Yes, of course, that's why we brought you down here. Right, this way." 

Marge leads them up a set of stairs and down a hall, and as they approach the door Stevie can hear two loud cries behind the door and she gasps her hand finding Lindsey's chest and when she's given the okay she busts through the door.