15

June 25, 1990

Stevie was trying to hold it together as they walked into the courtroom, but it was extremely hard to especially seeing the two on the other side of the stand. They were prim and propper and it almost killed Stevie a little bit. 

The girls didn't know what was going on both too young to know but Stevie and Lindsey did and Stevie had to hold it together as their biological aunt and uncle tell their statement to the judge about how they would be the best fit for Misty and Cordelia because they were a remaining link to their biological parents. They gave their testimonies and then Stevie and Lindsey got to as well as Marge. And after everything was said and done the judge looked at them. 

"Mr. and Mrs. Buckingham, because of the nature of your career, the court as well as Mr. and Mrs. Saville, are worried that you will not be fit parents seeing as how for your job you both can be gone for upwards of two years. Is there anything you have to say about that?" The Judge looks at them.

Stevie just fish mouths at Lindsey and he clears his throat, "I'm stepping back." 

"What do you mean you're stepping back?" The judge inquires.

"When Stephanie and I decided to adopt, I made a promise that I'd be there for the kids. She's back at work now, but I ceased all recording and meetings once we got the girls and I don't plan on picking back up with it any time soon." Lindsey explains. 

"Alright, the court sees that as an acceptable answer. However, at this time, though I don't see any evidence that Stephanie and Lindsey Buckingham are unfit to adopt these children. It wouldn't be fair of me to not give Peter and Eleanor the chance to prove that they would be better parents for Misty and Cordelia. With that being said, first thing tomorrow morning, Misty and Cordelia will be removed from the care of Stephanie and Lindsey. They will spend the next two months in the care of their aunt and uncle and on August 27th, we will meet back here to determine the better fit for Cordelia and Misty." The judge states and Stevie's heart shatters, the wind being taken out of her lungs, but she holds back the tears and just hugs Misty closer to her. 

Marge greets them afterward telling them that she will be at their house at nine in the morning and they were to have the kids ready to go. 

***

It was sad and solemn getting home that night, Stevie and Lindsey kept it together with the best they could. They watched the Little Mermaid with Cordelia, they read her several books they bathed her and then they settled her down for the night in their bed and Stevie found herself packing the girls' bags downstairs and that's when she let it go. She cried over the loss of her children and Lindsey pulled her into his arms and just rocked her.

"They're taking our babies from us. Why are they taking our babies from us?" She sobs.

All he does is kisses her hair crying himself because he didn't know what to say to her.

He helped her finish packing and then without speaking to each other they just went up to their bedroom and they cuddled up with both of the girls for the last time, Stevie crying herself to sleep. Lindsey not going to sleep at all. 

The next morning they woke up at Seven in the morning, and they dressed the girls in their best. Stevie put Cordelia in a black jean dress with her black leather patten shoes on her feet and under the jean dress was a light pink teeshirt and she put her curls in piggy tails. They dressed Misty in a coral onesie with white polka dots and a little brown skirt and then they were ready to hand the kids over to Marge. 

"I am so sorry about this." Marge shakes her head.

"Just...just, make sure they have lolly and her blankie cause Delia, she won't sleep without them." Stevie thrusts the stuffed owl and the blanket in Marge's hands. "And, And Delia's favorite dress is her pink one with navy blue hearts. She always wants to wear it so to make her not pick that one every single day I lay out three different outfits...Her favorite snack is goldfish and she has one book before bed every night and bath is every other night. Her, favorite rubber ducky is in her bag, she won't bathe without it. I...I sing Landslide to Misty every night after her last feeding. She eats at eight in the morning, noon, two, six, eight, and ten...and after ten is when I sing it to her, and then she'll sleep all night. I wrote everything down." 

"Alright, again, I am so, so, sorry this happened." Marge sighs.

"Mama, what happenin?" Cordelia questions and the mama makes Stevie's heart hurt.

"You're...you're going to go away for a little while okay." Stevie sniffles.

"Buh why?" 

"You just have to...but daddy and I love you so much." Stevie kisses her little head.

"Mama." Her lip wobbles.

"I know sunflower, I'm so sorry." Stevie sobs 

It was then that Marge carried the girls out of the house and once the door shut Stevie just hit the floor sobbing.

"They took our babies Lindsey." She cries into his chest.

"I know." Lindsey cries as well. 

"Why did they take our babies...why now...we were so close." She sniffles.

"I know Angel," Lindsey says his voice cracking. 

"Don't leave me...please don't leave me." Stevie sobs.

"No, I'm not leaving...I'm in this angel. I'm not leaving." He kisses her. 

Somehow, in their anger, their pain, their sadness, their love they end up upstairs. Lindsey pulls her nightgown off of her and they end up making sad, angry, hurt, painful love and once they finish, Lindsey climaxing against her cervix he pulls out and falls back on his spot on the bed and Stevie can see the cradle in her peripheral vision and she just busts out sobbing again, holding the blankets up over her naked breasts remembering the moment she first held Misty and Misty being so little had tried to breastfeed from her. 

"They took our babies." Stevie sniffles.