1- A Warm Invitation

Background info
You're 18 years old, and you've been feeling more and more distant from friends and family as the days pass. You've dabbled around in trying to learn nen, but you can't seem to catch on. You attempted to take the hunter exam a year ago, but you were out by the second round. Your sister, Machi, is in the phantom troupe, but she keeps her life pretty private so you don't know much about her or the troupe.

Writing Guide:
"Sample" -dialogue
Sample - thoughts
Sample - storytelling
(Sample) - side notes/context

(P.S - I don't know why the pictures for the chapters glitch. It adds like 837 photos instead of one. Not sure why? Anyways... enjoy!)

(Text Message Thread)
Machi: y/n, what are you doing later tonight? You wanna hang out or something? I need someone to take my mind off of all this chain user bullshit. I'm honestly so sick of hearing that name popped into every conversation the troupe has.

You: Yeah, sure! I don't have anything planned I don't think. But can you please not rant the whole time... don't get me wrong, I love hearing your stories, but I'm realllyy not in the mood for that, kinda just wanna have some fun and let loose.

Machi: Well, no promises, but ok... sure. We'll just hang out somewhere outside in yorknew ig. Sound ok? It'll have to be semi- late at night cuz I need to sneak out of the troupe HQ.

You: Yeah, ok! Sounds good. C u soon!

(A few hours pass and it's abt 7 pm)
(Your thoughts while getting ready)

Ok, wait yay, I'm excited that Machi actually invited me somewhere.

She's usually so distant and caught up in the troupe business. She never offers to hang out.

You'd think that being her sister would give you an advantage, but nope.

Not with Machi. Hopefully she won't be a drag. I really wanna have a good night and let off some steam.

Suddenly, You let out a quick, high-pitched scream.

FUCK"...did I just burn myself on my curler? Great way to start the night.

Your finger throbbed as you ran it under the faucet and let cold water trickle onto the fresh red mark.

I can't tell if I want to punch the wall or bite my finger till it bleeds out of rage. Both of those sound delightful right now. Do I have anger issues?

*Phone rings*
Machi: "y/n, are you gonna tell me when ur ready or what? Y'know it's just gonna be me and you, I'm your sister I already know you're hideous, you don't have to get all fancied up..."

You: What the hell shut up, I know! But it's still ok for me to want to look decent.
I guess I didn't completely care if I looked perfect, but to be honest, in the back of my mind, I was hoping we'd run into some new people,  just to keep things interesting and fast-paced. How I like it

Machi: ok, well yeah, do what you want. I'll be there in 10, Kay? I know I sound kinda pissy... but I am excited! Trust me. Even though it doesn't seem like it, I love hanging out with you. Ew I'm giving myself the ick right now.

You: Well, I'm just touching up my makeup and preparing my heels for the god awful blisters these shoes are gonna give me.

Machi: Ok, well do those things faster

You: *hangs up*

I just can't seem to shake the feeling that I'm going to meet someone tonight. My gut feelings are usually a shot in the dark, but something about this one feels certain. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how everything plays out before I get my hopes up

*doorbell rings*

Machi's here! Shit! Gotta hurry gotta go gotta go! Her impatient self won't wait much longer.

You run to the front door, but just before leaving, you remember it's September, so you grab your thin jacket in a swift motion and slip outside. You see Machi waiting for you in her luxury car and feel a hint of jealousy.

"Holy shit, when did you get this?"

"I dunno like a week ago. The troupe has been bringing in quite a bit of cash lately."

"Well, it's amazing; I bet we'll get a lot of attention with this ride for sure," you say with a slightly dorky look on your face.

"There's not even anyone around yet, and you're already embarrassing me y/n... just get in."

You get in Machi's car and admire the red leather interior. Your jealousy lingers, and an intrusive desire to join the troupe pops in your mind. You quickly dismiss it. You promised yourself that no matter the circumstance, you wouldn't do that. These thoughts of the phantom troupe increase your curiosity of the true identity of the chain user Machi keeps blabbering about. You decide to make conversation by asking her about it.

"So, kinda out of the blue, but who's the chain user everyone is freaking out over Mach?"

"Oh him? Well we know he has ties with the Nostrade Family, and we also know he needs to be eliminated."

"Well, that's a bit far, don't you think? What if he has a reason behind all this? The troupe isn't all that perfect. Can you think of any motives this guy would have?" I asked

"You don't know what you're talking about y/n... The chain user has shown he's insanely powerful. He captured Uvogin once already and plans to take revenge on the clan and kill Chrollo." Machi mumbled as she tried to focus on the road

"Uvogin? Chrollo? These names don't ring a bell. You're gonna have to narrow it down a bit."

Also... she didn't answer my question about his motives. Why does the chain user want revenge on the clan? I know the clan has done some shitty stuff, but to resort to capturing their leader? Kind of strange

"Uvo is the big muscular werewolf looking guy, and Chrollo is the one with the cross on his forehead."

"Oh yeahhh them. Ok, now I follow.... I think"
Uvo's image is pretty vague, but I remember Chrollo's delicate yet intimidating face quite vividly. Mach showed me a picture of him a while ago, but if Chrollo were to ever find out that happened, he'd be furious. Mach says he's a private guy and doesn't like his identity revealed to randos.

(10 mins of small talk and slight bickering in the car goes by)

"So do you wanna just park here and start walking around until we find something we want to do?"

"Sounds good!"

Thank you guys for reading the first chapter!! I'm already working on the next one :) I'm not quite sure if I want to go fast paced or slow burn with this story yet. I want the buildup to be great, but I also want to get to the stuff for all you kurapika worshipers out there! Lemme know what u want!!