2 - Night on the town

Just an FYI: This story doesn't follow the HXH storyline perfectly. It only involves characters, locations, and a somewhat-accurate timeline

"Uhhh, so where do you wanna go?" Machi grumbled

"Let's go and find some shops or something. Or maybe there's some street performers or restaurants! I dunno, there's plenty to do in Yorknew so let's just start walking already."

"First of all, calm your tits, and second of all, I agree." Machi quipped

You and Machi start walking around in search of something to do. To your right, you see a lowly antique store next to a dark alley.

"Wanna check that out, Mach?"

"Yeah! I think I see some pretty cool nicknacks; let's head over there."

That red dress in the window looks so pretty. I can tell I'd look stunning in that. I think it'd highlight all my favorite features. I HAVE TO BUY IT

Machi nudged you, knocking you out of your daydream, "You coming or what?"

"Y-yeah! Sorry. I just got distracted by that dress. Look! See it?"

"Holy shit, that's beautiful. You don't think it's a little too... revealing? It sure doesn't leave much to the imagination y/n."

"I've worn worst. Trust me."

You both head in, and the little old woman at the counter greets you with a warm smile.

"Hi, ma'am! How much is that red dress in the window? It really caught my eye, and I need to buy it... oh uh, sorry that sounded a bit demanding. I'm just excited, is all."

"Oh, don't worry dear!" The old woman said with a grin. "That dress is on sale! You see... I'm moving locations soon and need to make some room for new inventory, so everything in here is actually on sale! That dress is 26,800 Jenny (approx. 200 US Dollars)."

Damn, I don't even wanna know what the original price was

"Well, that's a bit more than I wanted to spend tonight, but to hell with it! I'll take it... oh wait, before I do, is there a room I can try it on?"

"Yes, go right up the stairs, and to your left, there is a unisex fitting room."

"Thank you!"

You gently grab the dress, caressing its silky texture while it's in your grasp, and head for the stairs. You walk into the changing room and strip down. Staring into the tall mirror, you pull the dress straps over your shoulders and zip up the back. You nearly gasp at the sight of yourself.

Oh my god. I don't think a piece of clothing has ever suited me more! What a stunning crimson color.

You swiftly grab your clothes and dash down the stairs. Forgetting that you still have the dress on, you ask to checkout.

"Take my money, please dear God, take my money!"

Machi turned to you wide-eyes. "OH MY GOD Y/N! You look hot as fuck!"

The old woman scoffed at Mach's profanity

"Oh uh... pardon my language, ma'am; Just got a little too excited."

"Ah, so be it, all is well. Also, y/n, Sweetheart, you still have the dress on." the woman murmered

"Oh yeah, uhh, can you just grab the tag from behind me and scan it? I plan to wear this for the rest of tonight."

"I suppose that will do.~"

The old woman grabs the tag connected to the back of your dress and scans it. She seems slightly aggravated, but you ignore it.

"Thank you so so much! Here, here's what I owe you! Oh yeah, Mach, did you want anything from the shop?"

"Nah, I'm good, I saw some stuff that looked pretty cool, but I figured I'd be fine without them."

"Suit yourself..." You huffed

"Have a wonderful night, ladies!" The old woman quickly commented as you made your way out the door

"Same to you!" You say in unison

You and Machi start walking down the street, but a silhouette at the end of the dark ally catches your eye. The silhouette senses your presence and tries to dodge your vision. They sneak behind the antique shop, hoping to go unnoticed.

"Mach, did you see that person, or were my eyes playing tricks on me?"

"Yeah, I saw them, but what about it? We don't need to go snooping around for no reason." Machi explained in an annoyed manor

"Yeah, I guess you're right, now let's go find a club or something. I need somewhere to show off my new dress." You say as you motion Machi to start moving.

Suddenly, the silhouette bolts past both of you from behind.

"Whoa, what the fuck! Where are they going?" Machi exclaims as her face turns beet red.

The figure continues running in front of you and then makes a sharp turn to the right. They then leap onto the overhang of a little shop and hastily pull themself up to the top. They nearly fall but stabilize themselves, and use the unevenly-laid bricks of the building to climb to the rooftop. They crouch down and are no longer visible.

"I don't know what just happened. That was a lot to take in. But maybe we should just go. As you said, it's not our business..."

"Uhh, I don't know... they were very clearly trying to get away from us as fast as possible. Maybe they know us? Or at least one of us."

"Yeah, I guess, but we should leave them be, ok?"

"Kay," Machi says in an impatient tone

You both start walking again, but at a slower pace, still trying to absorb what just happened. You begin to have second thoughts about ignoring them, so you make the snap decision on your own to try to get the strange person's attention.

"HEY!! WHO ARE YOU AND WHY ARE YOU IN SUCH A RUSH?"

No one answers.

"Y/n! Stop it! I'm not looking to fight anyone right now. I know I said we should check it out, but I changed my mind! I thought we were leav-."

Machi's words are cut off by the sound of footsteps pacing the roof where the unknown figure was last seen. The figure stands up straight, revealing their looks more clearly.

You look closely and see a slim girl with straight silver hair

You look closely and see a slim girl with straight silver hair. She has big circular sunglasses that reflect the streetlight's soft glow. Upon her head sits an oversized black hat with a small rim.

"I will not be telling you my name or my reason for acting so distraught." The girl murmurs, expecting us to hear her