12 - Let's Dance

"Earth to Kurapikaaa"

His startled eyes shot up to the meet bartender's. He cleared his throat. "I apologize; yes, I'll absolutely take a glass, thank you." His words were slightly flustered, but his usual 'calm and collected smart ass' tone still shone through.

"What were you thinking about? You seemed pretty out of it for a minute," you asked right before taking a sip of your flawlessly bitter beverage, your indistinct voice echoing throughout the glass.

He understood you, nonetheless. "Oh, not much, sometimes I just zone out, don't you?"

You thought of the best way to describe it. "Yeah, I totally get what you mean, sometimes you stare at something for too long, and then memories or thoughts start playing in your head like a movie. You can hear all the noises and talking happening around you, but they go in one ear and out the other; nothing is really registered. Only the narration in your head is registered. There could be a million things happening in reality, and you might not remember a single detail when you snap out of it." You deeply inhale after finalizing your long description

Kurapika looked stunned. "So it's exactly like that for everyone? It doesn't happen to me very often; I usually try to stay in the moment and stay focused, so when it does happen, it's pretty frustrating to say the least."

The bartender has been attentively listening in on your conversation. "Don't worry about it, Mrr-" he dragged out the 'err,' trying to think. "Oh, I never got your last name."

"It's Kurta, and my first name's Kurapika if you didn't catch it before." He smiled at the man, the corners of his lips briefly curling, but you could tell it was masking subtle pain, for he shifted to sulking after his phony smile. Saying his last name must spark tragic memories of his clan every time.

Poor guy... He can't even go one night without thinking of his clan. I wanna give him another hug and comfort him. Not right now though, that would just embarrass him and let it be known that his smile was fake, so I'll just wait 'till later.

The bartender nodded. "Ah, ok, well Mr. Kurta, as I was saying, don't worry about it, everyone spaces out." He replied, handing Kurapika his glass of wine.

Kurapika took a small swig of his wine, properly holding the delicate glass with elegance and perfect form. He savored the expensive flavor as it slid down his throat. He wanted to make every sip count. This behavior could also indicate that he doesn't want to get drunk too fast.

Cmon... I'm already on my second glass Kurapika; you gotta speed this up

Kurapika went in for another sip, but as his lips met the rim, you tilted his cup higher so that he'd drink faster.

He looked distraught with a tiny glint of anger in his eyes. "Y/n what the hell did you do that for?"

"If you keep going at that speed, it'll take wayyy too long, and I wanna get you and me at least tipsy before the night's over, or are you too proper for that?" You add puppy dog eyes to that last question, just to sweeten the deal.

Kurapika looked at you like he was itching to start a competition. A mischievous look of determination. He grabbed his glass and chugged the entire thing. He was about to slam his glass on the table; then he realized it was delicate. He went at it full speed, but at the last second, he slowed the motion down and placed his pinkie under the glass, leaving a nice cushion for it to land on. (Ouran reference anyone? :)

He's so cute, the way he wants to be daring and spontaneous, but always ends up doing the proper thing and following the rules.

"Sir! I'll take another glass please." The bartender gave Kurapika a nod. "On second thought, could you just give us the whole bottle...or what's left of it at least."

The bartender placed the tall bottle of wine in front of both of you. You poured yourself a glass, but Kurapika stopped you.

"Y/n, I haven't had my second glass yet! If you pour that, it will be your third."

You scoffed. "Oh knock it off, weren't you the guy taking baby sips just a second ago?"

The blonde furrowed his eyebrows. "I had a change of heart!"

You start laughing, unable to take him seriously. "Just shut up and pour yourself the glass; you can have it first," you say under your chuckles, handing the bottle to him.

"Um- alright."

"Plus! We can just order another bottle if we want more, maybe something cheaper... or stronger."

Kurapika nods, forgetting the 'one bottle' deal you made with him

(Time skip - 40 mins)

Both you and Kurapika are now mildly drunk. You talked for a long time on the barstools, and at one point, Kurapika laughed so hard he almost fell off his chair- again.

'Y/n, do you want to dance?" The blonde asks, hopping off his stool, holding his hand out

You looked at his hand, a little confused. "But there's a slow song playing. Don't you want to dance when there's a fun song?"

The blonde brings his hand back to his side, sorrow glossing his eyes. "Yes, I suppose that's a better idea..."

Fuck it

"Actually, you're right, let's just dance right now, cmon," You confess, grabbing him by the wrist and dragging him to an open area. Dragging him along seems to be a trend of yours.

You find a spot that's slightly secluded from all of the other drunk fools. The Lobby is now dimly lit, for the sun went down. Candles and chandeliers cast shadows onto the towering walls of all the dancing couples swaying back and forth, gently shaking as the candlelight flickers.

A soft melodic tune ascends from the band that plays at night, feeding the guests' ears.

Kurapika places his hand on your shoulder blade, rubbing it in a circular motion before gently sliding that palm down your back. His fingers unintentionally tickle your spine as his hand travels down to your waist. His hand made the fabric on the back of your dress bunch up at the bottom.

A/N:
Remember to comment and vote <3 I love seeing everyone's notifications! It makes me so happy :)